Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have upgraded the wheels on my 1981 GL1100 with 1983 11 spoke cast wheels. I changed the swingarm to an 83 as well. The wheels came with Conti-tour tires in practically new shape. They look great but the tire is rubbing ever so slightly on the brake stop arm! When first installed, it did not rub until I installed he caliper and took it off the center stand. I know this because the wheel spun freely. As soon as I put the caliper on, it must have torqued it just enough to rub. Any thoughts? The guy who i nought them from swears that they worked fine before being removed.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I don't know if this explains it, but the brake rotors may be different sizes on the 83 compared to earlier models. 83 was the first year of the linked front and rear brake.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I believe the 81 had a 17" rear wheel and the 83 is 16". I think the 16" is also wider. That is where your problem lies.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Just had my 83 rubbing the same way, when 2 riders were on the bike. I put a little more air in the rear shocks and no longer rubbing. Worth an easy look anyway.

Billy

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

You're right, it is wider. For that reason, I replaced the swingarm as well. This is a modification I am told is done often. The rubbing is occurring on the brake stop arm.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

bmoore106,

I forgot to mention, it is rubbing on the brake stop arm. The issue is lateral not vertical. Perhaps the tire is too wide. Has anyone put a Continental Tour on a Gl1100 before? Continental tells me they test all their tires on the bikes and that they have it listed to fit that bike :?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.