Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm a new owner of an '82 GL1100 Standard. It needs a little work and I'm getting there. But I have a good set of 11 spoke '83 wheels I was going to put on. So I thought I's put in new bearings while I'm at it. When I went to order the bearings, I found out the '82 and '83 bearings are different. Now I'm concerned about what else is different. Axles, rotors, caliper spacing.....????

Guys, should I just sell the '83 wheels or can I use them without a lot of pain? My skill set is such thatI can handle brake jobs and the like, but I am not sure I want to tackle fork changes, swing arms and drives, etc..... just to change wheels.

Thanks

CKBuck

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The '82 & '83 GL1100 use the same size tires sodon't think youshould encounterany problems, both years have dual piston calipers and I don't see any reason to change forks.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking it should be a straight swap

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I just got on BikeBandit, and looked at the Front Wheel microfiche. I recommend you do the same.

While the bearings and the axle show the same part #, the wheel is vastly different. There are different dust seals, and it appears to be a different collar/spacing arrangement.

Visit BikeBandit - click on OEM / Honda and go from there.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Rusty. I'll try that. I have recently learned that the '83 had TRAC anti-dive forks and I suspect there is a difference to be seen in spacing. But since I don't have the '83 parts gike, just the wheels, it's hard for me to tell.

Thanks

CKBuck

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ooohhh shucks. This is beginning to sound less like the 'bolt-on' experience that I really wanted. It may turn into a winter project 'cause I don't want to disassemble and check while I have sunshine to ride in.

Thanks much.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

personally going from a 82 to a 83 i think they will pop right on there. it doesnt take long to check. jb

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

When my 82 had a flat, I put on my spare 83 Interstate wheel for the drive home. Bolted on perfectly. The only difference was the speedo drive. You can use the wheel and change the speedo drive or use the speedo cable from an 83 Interstate. The Aspencade wheel will work but the speedo drive from the 82 is needed. Also the Aspencade had different rotors.

John

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

my 82 has a 16" comstar on the rear, I thought an 83 had the 17" wheel in the rear.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

No, 83 had a 16 inch on the rear.

John

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Do your 83 wheels have disc already mounted ? If so I would spend some time with a ruler and compare the measurements on the disc spacing of the two wheels . IF your 83 wheels have vented disc from an Aspy model be prepared to remove them and there spacers then use the 82 disc . The 83 Aspy had almost every front part Aspy specific .

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Jason m wrote:
my 82 has a 16" comstar on the rear, I thought an 83 had the 17" wheel in the rear.
:waving:Tire size for the '82& '83 GoldWing GL1100 is: front 120/90-18, rear 140/90-16.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.