Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

NEW TO THE GROUP WAS AN X HARLEYRIDER SOLD THEM AND BOUGHT A 1983 INTERSTATE IT HAS 25K ON IT AND RUNS FAIRLY DECENT BUT SAT FOR 2 YEARS MY? IS WAS SHOULD I CHECK FOR THAT MIGHT GIVE ME PROBLEMS IT DOES RUN ALITTLE SLUGGISH CARBS PROBABLEY NEED A GOOD CLEANING CHECKED THE PLUGS AND THE 2 ON THE RIGHT SIDE WHERE BLACK AND THE 2 ON THE LEFT WHERE WHITE ANYTHING I SHOULD REALLY CHECK FOR OR ANY KNOWN PROBLEMS THANKS

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum bro.
Check the compression. Clean out the old gas. Check the tank for rust. If no rust, change gas filter, use a 3011 Napa filter(no emgo, bad filters)new gas mixed w/4 oz seafom. new plugs. New oil & filter. Check the stator continuity. Battery fully charged.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Welcome XXHR, The white/black plugs suggest lean/rich. The Seafoam will prob help, however, may need to rebuild/clean carbs. Also replace Timing belts if unknown age. Even if look good, they can fool you. Enjoy!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. I guess I'm the echo in here. I would also check the hoses and make sure that they are ok. It might be due for a radiator flush as well as other fluids. I would change the differential fluid too. Drive shaft splines are another potential trouble spot, but not because it has been sitting for a while.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I used to ride a full dresser years ago. I have an 84 aspy now. Once you do get the carbs working good, remember that the goldwing motor has no power til you get above 4000rpm. The harley 2 cylinder has more low end torque, but these have great high end torqe. Don't be afraid to run the rpm's to 6000+ when needing power. Red line on yours is 8000rpm I think :action:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

as you learn the bike , i believe that with proper maintenance it will be a very dependable ride . but i would suggest that you obtain a honda manual . 80-83 honda. some times i use all 3 of them . honda , cramyer and hayens. for different pics and stuff.
oh-- wellcome to the site too !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.