Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Newport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have done a bare frame rebuild on a 1983A and there were only 7 of these imported to Australia. All electrics work except that the air compressor will not operate and the temp gauge only shows one bar at a time.

The earth for the air comp goes via the instrument panel not straight to frame as does most other stuff.

If I run an earth direct to frame from the relay the compressor runs but I have no readout on the temp gauge which is designed to convert to an air pressure readout when the compressor is run.

I have checked continuity on almost every wire on this bike, purchased another used instrument panel ( i have no history of it as it was an Ebay purchase) and even the other panel has the same issues so maybe it is external to the panel?

I will happily accept even the wildest ideas and go check if you have any knowledge in this area.

No circuit diagrams are available for the electronics in the instrument panel.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

If the compressor works grounded to the frame, the ground through the panel isn't working. That may be the root cause of the whole problem, ie a bad ground.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I believe the ignition switch has to be in the park (p ) for the compressor to operate. Have you tried that?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

GLGREZMONKI wrote:
I believe the ignition switch has to be in the park (p ) for the compressor to operate. Have you tried that?
Not for the suspension, just the outlet.

·
Newport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Having purchased another used panel and tried it with the same result and having no diagrams for the internals there is little I can do to verify what is going on inside the electronic componets.

I tend to agree that this is an earth issue but as the earthing for this circuit also brings up the air pressure gauge it must be through the instrument panel.

I have seen another instrument panel for sale but at USD300 plus postage down under that is a pretty steep trial to see if it is any different.

I have had input from a local auto electrical shop who although thaey are yet to physically check the bike they have offered about all the help they can via circuit drawing supplied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.