Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1984 1200 Aspencade, kick stand switch? is there one?

My 1993 750 Nighthawk has one that will kill the engine if you go from neutral to first.

But my Goldwing with drive with the kickstand down.

Is there a way to put a switch on it?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

floridamtbiker99 wrote:
1984 1200 Aspencade, kick stand switch? is there one?
No GL1200 had a kick stand switch.

Is there a way to put a switch on it?
Yes with an understanding of the wiring and a little ingenuity it is possible.
If you do it please post back with a how-to as I'm sure others would be interested.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

As Ken has said the GL1200 does not have a sidestand safety switch that kills the engine when placed in gear with the stand down. I know there have discussions about it before and I am sure someone has come up with a plan somewhere but in lieu of a cutout switch a lot of owners have installed a warning light or buzzer/light combination. You can fabricate a small bracket to hold a type of switch above the stand, a micro switch, mercury switch etc. In this picture it is simply an old automotive door post switch ( visible just below the shifter) This is used as a ground point for two super bright LED lights on the dsah. This is certainly no guarentee that you wont drive away with your stand down but it might help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

When I first got my 86 I rode off with the stand down several times. I just wasn't used to it. After that happening about 3 or 4 times it became ingrained into my memory and hasn't happened since. However, about 2 months after I got the bike I took it to a mechanic that works on many older bikes to have him test-drive it for the front end. I wound up putting new springs in but the point is when he started the bike he was standing next to it pulling in the clutch. Once the bike started he released it thinking he had it in neutral and the bike lurched forward almost falling over-I had to jump in to help him or it would have fallen.
All that being said I almost think a kill switch would be better than a warning light. The light, while good for the owner, will be unfamiliar to someone who may have to move the bike during your ownership. ie. A mechanic, a tow driver, a family member if you are unable to drive, etc.
In the case of the mechanic who looked at my bike, the neutral light clearly wasn't on and the gear indicator also clearly showed 1st gear. He just had a hectic day and had a "brain fart".
OK that's all. Do I get a award of some kind for most wordy post?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
When I first got my 86 I rode off with the stand down several times. I just wasn't used to it. After that happening about 3 or 4 times it became ingrained into my memory and hasn't happened since. However, about 2 months after I got the bike I took it to a mechanic that works on many older bikes to have him test-drive it for the front end. I wound up putting new springs in but the point is when he started the bike he was standing next to it pulling in the clutch. Once the bike started he released it thinking he had it in neutral and the bike lurched forward almost falling over-I had to jump in to help him or it would have fallen.
All that being said I almost think a kill switch would be better than a warning light. The light, while good for the owner, will be unfamiliar to someone who may have to move the bike during your ownership. ie. A mechanic, a tow driver, a family member if you are unable to drive, etc.
In the case of the mechanic who looked at my bike, the neutral light clearly wasn't on and the gear indicator also clearly showed 1st gear. He just had a hectic day and had a "brain fart".
OK that's all. Do I get a award of some kind for most wordy post?
It could be wired in the kill switch line and would not allow the bike to start, also add a flasher with the LEDs, that should get your attention

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.