Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a question about carbs and if I should buy a rebuild kit or what direction I should go. I have pulled the carbs from a 1984 1200 Goldwing Aspincade. it is my father-in-laws and I'm pretty much just trying to get the thing road worthy as a favor to him (I'm a tinkerer) the throttle cables were rusted solid and I ended up pulling the carbs and will have to replace both throttle cables and the choke cable. here's my question.. before I go out and spend $120 or whateveron the rebuild kit by randakks is it going to be worth it? currently I am unable to rotate the throttle linkage point on the carbs where the two throttle cables attached. I have read on this and another board almost every discussion on rebuilding 1200 Goldwing carbs and nowhere have I heard anyone say anything about this problem. yesterday when I pulled them i hosed the linkage points all down with penetrating flud, and havn't been back to check yet, but I'm wondering if I should maybe start by taking this thing apart a little bit first and making sure the thing will end up working...

link to the carb rebuild kit I understand is pretty good.

http://www.randakks.com/Carb%20Parts.htm#9B

so that was my first question.. one of my thoughts was to maybe do the baking soda blast on the outside of the carbs and then boil them for 20 minutes after that and see if that frees anything up before tearing them apart.. any thoughts?

Thanks

Dr. Eric

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I as able to just clean my 86 and everything went fine. but mine were not locked up. I would pull the bowls and tops. see how things come apart. Hopefully the slides will come out. Boiling may be a good 1st option as it won't hurt orings and stuff. If you use alot of carb cleaner OR actually soak it in some for a day it will probably eat the orings and stuff to goo. Then, yes, Randakks I hear are very good parts.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

The kit is the best you will ever find. top of the top quality items.

about the stuck throttle arms, i would disassemble the carbs and see which one is stuck or it could just be the throttle linkage.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Boiling them will more than likely free the throttle shafts. While they're hot and wet work the mechanism.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I had an 1100 set of carbs that had frozen choke shafts. It took a bit of soaking with penetrating oil and some judicious working them loose with a small vise grip. They eventually came free and worked okay. I think you're on the right path with boiling and blasting.
Randakk does have the best rebuild kit you can buy. I notice that he now has diaphragms for 1200 CV slides. If I had a 1200 I'd get hold of a set, they have to work better than the tired old ones on most 1200s. Besides that you can't get them from Honda any more either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.