Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On my 84 1200A as of now though it runs perfectly the rpms are reading higher then they should be the bike is running correctly just the display is reading high if I squeeze the brake lever or put my foot on the rear brake lever it reads the correct rpms I checked the battery ground and am still researching the problem though it doesnt affect the running of the bike its not right and thats how Id like it thanks guys/gals for any helpful input/thoughts...I think Ill make a short youtube video and post it that should explain it better..

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

What is your rpm reading at say 60mph in OD ? Seems like I read where the digital dash has it's own voltage regulator to drop the 12 volts to like 7 or 5 volts. But I would think it would affect your other readings also.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,762 Posts
imported post

You have to figure out how the voltage from the brake light affects the tach.

Are all your brake lights working? Are they the correct size and voltage? The reason I ask is because there is a warning light in the dash designed to tell you if a tail light bulb fails.

That's the only connection to the two systems that comes to mind. It's a stretch.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Figured it out after testing battery voltage at mid range rpms only putting out 12v,long story short main fuse by battery wasnot real tight,tightend the screws and problem is gone also starter relay was very hot thats where the voltage was bleeding through after tighten it cooled off this is for the records..Voltage increased to 13v as well

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
imported post

AhHa, what was happening was the charging voltage was too high and all going into the bike electrical system because the battery was not able to buffer it. Using the brake lights caused the voltage to drop enough for the readings to return to somewhat normal.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,762 Posts
imported post

Rusty, if that starter relay was getting hot, you may want to check the plug on top of it for burning. It happens a lot and can leave you sittin' if not corrected.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I checked the plug it was fine,Got it before running bike much and any damage accured to it....Man that was driving me nuts one down thanks guys...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.