Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a slight ground on my dads goldwing. Is this model prone to any specific hot wire grounds?

will

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Did you give any thought to pulling the fuse for back-up power to radio, (clock-station preset memory). Just a thought...

And welcome to the forum..... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

My memory is shot, but I believe my 84 Aspencade had a fuse under the left-hand fairing pocket. Do you have access to a manual/wiring diagram. Bike's been gone for too many years. You may be able to do a search on radios for past posts...

Good luck :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingventurer wrote:
I have a slight ground on my dads goldwing. Is this model prone to any specific hot wire grounds?
Will, you say slight ground, just how slight is it? There are probably enough diodes in the 84 Wing to show a voltage to ground when using a low impedance digital voltmeter. You really need to measure the voltage drop in milliamps (mA).

17000 ohms to ground isn't anything. As a reference just install a 17000 ohm resistor across a know good battery that battery will stay up for a very long time. Actually I'm surprised your ohm load across the system isn't higher.

Try disconnecting the voltage regulator as that has a series of diodes in it also.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the advice all. If the 17000 ohms is possibly normal, then I have a puzzle in figuring out why a new battery keeps discharging over a week period.

thanks

will

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingventurer wrote:
Thanks for the advice all. If the 17000 ohms is possibly normal, then I have a puzzle in figuring out why a new battery keeps discharging over a week period.
Will, hook everything back up then remove the positive battery cable & measure the Milliamp (mA) draw on the system between the removed positive cable & battery's positive post. If you find it high then start removing fuses or disconnecting added accessories until it drops. If it's still high with everything disconnected unplug the regulator to see if that helps.

Are you sure the charging system is working properly (you need to see 14-15 volts at the battery posts at 3,000-4000 engine RPM's. Those older Wings have a failure record of the alternator stator or the plastic connector at the front of the battery (3 yellow wires) so make sure it is charging properly.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

By the way, how many milliamps is not a ground?

Theoretically 1. In reality it's not uncommon to have a 20 ma draw, if you are above 50 you could have a problem. IMHO

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingventurer wrote:
By the way, how many milliamps is not a ground?
Will, that's a good question. On an older GM automobile the voltage regulator is around 1-2 mA & the digital clock around 3-5 mA. On the later (up level) GM cars it could run as high as 25-35 mA or more due to memory seats, auto dimmimng headlights, up-level radio memory, multiple body computers, etc. Of course a GM vehicle has a much larger battery & a larger charging system.

Just a guess on your Wing but I would say probably 8 or less mA with the full system operational & probably under 4 with everything disconnected except the voltage regulator.

If that battery is going dead in a week from a parasitic drain I would guess you would have a 40 mA or higher draw showing.

Let us know what you end up finding?

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Twisty is on the nail, 40ma would be a sort of minimum figure for a problem drain. The GL1200 doesn't have a huge amount of memory hogging equipment (LCD dash and radio would be about it), so 10ma would be a generous allowance.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well, It appears that the system draw is 8 mA. I found the fuse that isolates the load that is drawing all the power (could be several different loads downstream of this though).

Its the 7.5 amp fuse in the fairing left pocket (under the storage pocket). I do not have a wiring diagram so I don't know what the load is.

Is there a place online where one can be viewed? :baffled: I know from being a member of the Venturers that there is a link to the yamaha venture diagram but not the wing.

Any info would be greatly apprec'd.

thanks,

will

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

It could be the 7.5 amp fuse in the left pocket, this bypasses the ignition switch.

Anybody seen Tricky?

I did a search on the words " 7.5 amp fuse" and foundthe abovethread that"tricky" had replied to (something about a person who lost their radio etc...., with a small section of a wiring diagram showing the fuse, writtenabout a month ago.

I have an 8mA draw on my battery and found that if I remove that fuse the draw goes to less than 0.
Perhapshe knows how I could see a copy of the wiring diag. :baffled:

Thanks

will.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingventurer wrote:
Well, It appears that the system draw is 8 mA. I found the fuse that isolates the load that is drawing all the power (could be several different loads downstream of this though).

Its the 7.5 amp fuse in the fairing left pocket (under the storage pocket). I do not have a wiring diagram so I don't know what the load is.

Is there a place online where one can be viewed? :baffled: I know from being a member of the Venturers that there is a link to the yamaha venture diagram but not the wing.

Any info would be greatly apprec'd.

thanks,

will
Will, I have wiring diagrams for the 84, problem is, it doesn't show the fuse locations just the fuses shown in the circuit. Furnish me the wire colors & I will try to look for what that fuse controls. (probably radio or radio speed control volume).

If you send me an E-Mail [email protected]I can send you copy's of those wired diagrams (they're not small files though).

Twisty

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I thank you for the offer, I have just received the diagram from tricky vial email and have found the fuse loads. It is indeed the radio memory, and clock. I believe that current draw is correct for these components and am going to look at a potential issue with the starter relay.

thanks

will

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Keep us informed of your findings, everyone here is always willing to learn. Me especially.... :waving: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

:clapper: Gentlemen,

I believe I have the problem isolated to probably what most of you suspected in the beginning. I believe a combination of the alternator output voltage being low and low use of the machine caused my battery condition. The battery is indeed good. I ran 3 12 gauge wires parallel to the installed alternator output wires up to the input of the voltage regulator plug. I also removed the partially melted inline plug in these three wires. Which by the way, who was the engineer thatunderdesigned this wiring? Boy, my daughter could have figured to put in bigger wiring than that.

Well anyway started the machine and output voltage was 1.5 volts higher than before which is at a high of 14.5 volts. After I cut the inline plug out it was ~14.0 and after adding the 3 wires I then got 14.5 volts.

I changed the spark plugs, added new horns, removed the cruise control stuff, etc..

Going to take it back to my Dad now so he can try it out (but not before I drive it some more) HA :D

You all were a tremendous help,

Many thanks

Will H

TX

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wingventurer, it isn't a matter of under design. It's a matter of under mantenance. Think about it, this bike has been running with less than great maintenance for 21 years. In all that time I wonder how often anyone has taken the connector apart, cleaned and greased it. My guess, never. Over time oxidation and corrosion increase the resistance of the connector, increasing the heat generated which increases the resistance which increases the heat, etc. I'll bet the connector up the line between the stator connector and the recitifer isn't in much better condition either. It isn't a matter of wire too small at all.

BTW why would you remove the cruise control?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Plug #1 by the battery was almost completely non-functional. Plug #2 by the rectifier was in perfect condition. This machine only had 16000 miles. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

After the electrical mod, the wiring just before the rectifier still gets pretty hot which is a clear sign of being under-sized. All the wiring upstream of that (which is paralleled now is cool at max load. It may have survived for 21 years but its been gettin hot all that time too.

Cruise control controls on the handlebar had been removed by a previous owner for some unknown reason.:crying: The rest of the stuff was electrically disconnected also. I just removed the equipment remaining. I use a throttle lock. My 2001 Venture has cruise control but I'm not going to take it off.........:11brown:

Will

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.