Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1984 Aspencade battery is discharging overnight and within an hour of riding the battery is dead. I performed a leak test and it shows 14v on my multimeter. I pulled fuses one by one and still the leak persists. Obviously there is a drain on the battery and the charging system is not functioning properly but I do not know how to find what is causing the drain. The stator has never been replaced so it may be the reason for the charging issue but what could be causing the drain?

·
Administrator
22,065 Posts
:welc:

Hi. With a 14 volt drain there should be sparks.

I think the first thing to do would be to have the battery tested and fully charged. You have some place close by that can do that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery was fully charged when I performed leak test. Showed drain of 14.4 volts. Pulled fuses one by one with no change in drain. I’m stumped.

·
Administrator
25,027 Posts
Voltage tells you nothing about a drain, have to use an amp meter to know if there is a drain or not. Try disconnecting the voltage regulator.

·
Administrator
22,065 Posts
The Honda Repair Manual is generally considered a more reliable source for information and testing.

If you have something drawing 14 volts from the battery, I'd think it should be obvious where it's at. Start with ANYTHING that is not OEM. Extra lights, trailer hitches, radios.

·
Premium Member
61,415 Posts
Hallo rockinroland

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Magic Moderator
4,438 Posts
May I suggest an 'Insulation Breakdown Test' on the stator?
Disconnect the stator at the three yellow wire white plastic connector, set the meter to ohms/resistance and touch one lead to a yellow wire and one to the engine case and check for continuity.

·
Administrator
25,027 Posts
May I suggest an 'Insulation Breakdown Test' on the stator?
Disconnect the stator at the three yellow wire white plastic connector, set the meter to ohms/resistance and touch one lead to a yellow wire and one to the engine case and check for continuity.
The stator cannot cause an electrical drain.

·
Administrator
25,027 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the leak test and pulled the 30A fuse from the starter solenoid and the voltage drain went away. Guess it may be the cause and is a cheap fix if that is the case. Looks like it is an aftermarket one on their now as it looks different from all the ones being sold now...

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,065 Posts
I can't see what switch you have there, but I really stress that you should replace it with an OEM unit. A lot of people will tell you to use that kind of fuse, but the truth is, your problem exists because of that kind of use.

https://shop.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=426542&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1987&fveh=13049

You will need to fix those wires correctly and probably replace the plug. If you aren't experienced and proficient with wiring, you should leave the job to someone who is. This is something that can set your bike on fire.

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,027 Posts
I did the leak test and pulled the 30A fuse from the starter solenoid and the voltage drain went away. Guess it may be the cause and is a cheap fix if that is the case. Looks like it is an aftermarket one on their now as it looks different from all the ones being sold now...
That is NOT your problem. All the power goes through that fuse so naturally the drain will go away when you pull it and it has nothing to do with that starter relay anyway. Did you take my previous advise?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dave, not sure what pulling the voltage regulator will tell me. Is there something else I’m missing like testing it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts