Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,

this might be long winded but I would like to give you all the details. 1984 aspencade 22,000 miles put away in 89 ,sprayed down with WD-40 and in a heated garage. Tank is rust free. new carbs from classic cycles installed. new plugs. Bike starts right upIdles great but at 2550 rpms it pops in the intake box. changed fuel filter and plugs again, same thing. Rebuilt my stock carbs by randdakks kit and book, same thing. put the classic cycles ones back on same thing. All four getting spark.

Maybe this helps, if you turn the throttle up to 2700 with out letting off it drops about 600 RPM on its own.

when I ride the bike it seems like it is not running on all 4 but if I apply the choke slightly it runs perfect?????????? fuel pump ignition advance??????

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Did you do a final synch of the carbs?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

it happens even when the engine is warm? check the vacuum advance hose from the carb Nº4 to the engine control unit.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It is connected to the runner and goes to the "T" with one end going to the dead end and the other to the ignition.I will have to check to see when its warm. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

It does do it when it is warm.Last night I warmedthe bike up and went around and pulled of the spark plg wires 1 at a time while it was running. cylinder 1 made no difference in the idle. Yes there was spark there. just for giggles I applied the choke enough that the enrichener moved MAYBE 1/32 of an inch and now it makes the difference of that cylinder working or not. It didn't change the idle at all rpm wise but you can here the difference when you pull it off now.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

What is the compression in #1 cylinder? What are the color of all 4 plugs after a ride? Are you sure that all 4 choke blades are set the same?

Is it possible that #1 cylinder is sucking air from a gasket surface between the carb & the head? Im shooting in the dark but your problem sounds like a lean fuel air mixture & It seems the same with both carb racks so Im thinking it is not the carbs but something that supports their fuel air delivery to the engine.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

dgscarnut

I had similar problems with 84 interstate with 24,000 miles on her. I rebuilt the carbs and cleaned them about 3 times I finally gave up and found a good mechanic around here. took the carbs off and had him work on it. He didn't mention anything out of the ordinary other than they were still dirty. He replaced the 4 orings around the float chamber,and the o-rings and washers for the Idel screws.
I was only able to run it for a short time once as it has not stop snowing here since. But once it was warmed up it seemed fine, I guess I will find out more in the spring.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Redwing52
I tried the shims they didn't help me. Not saying it won't work just that it didn't help me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.