Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am wondering could any of you help me think of things i should take care of when trying to bring a 1984 aspencade back up to speed? Like are there things that are typical in this bike that i should be lookin to fix? It was garaged for over a year.

ALSO, ther eis rust on the rim of the tank, but only tiny spots on the real inside of it. Is this going to be detrimental?

Thanks y'all

Anthony

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

Hi Anthony,

I just recently bought a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade and have the same problem, only worse. My tank had alot of larger pieces of rust in it. I had a Honda dealership suggest I use a kit that would stop the rust and coat the inside of the tank. They said it involved washing out the tank with a chemical (supplied with the kit), then pouring the sealant in and rolling it around. The problem with that method is the sealant would probably cover up the dirt screen. I found another shop who says the system he uses stops rust and prevents any further deteriorationwitout plugging up the screen and without removing the tank. I'll know in a couple of days! Even if the rust is minimal, I would get it treated soon as it will only get worse over time. Hope this helps!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Small bits of rust will cause problems Anthony. I wouldn't ignore this. The coating kits do work for a while, you might get a few years out of it. When I last did this job I drained out the tank first and let it dry fully, then I got a vacuum cleaner nozzle in and sucked out a full mug of rust! Then I used a spray-in sealer and had no problems after that.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

tomorrowneverwas wrote:
:shock::shock:what problems does rust in the tank cause?:shock:

It starts out by clogging up your fuel filter and goes down hill from there. The next thing you know, you have to pull the carbs and rebuild them because all the jets and idle circuits are plugged up and the bike either runs badly or won't run at all.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

I am still waiting for the tank to be finished. I'll try to get the name of the solution he is using, although he may not want to give up his trade secrets! You may want to call your local Honda dealer and ask them if they have just the tank wash solution, or, better yet, check with someone in you area who cleans and repairs radiators/gas tanks. Chances are, though, you'll need to remove the gas tank. That is one job that can be done, but is alot of work.

If you remove the tank, take out the sending unit, then throw in a handful of 5/16" nuts , cover the tank openings and shake it real good. That will knock quite a bit of the unseen rust loose. Everything can then be dumped out.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

There are other things to look out for as well. Brakes will often seize or lose their effectiveness, tyres dry up and crack and fork oil goes bad, petrol goes bad and slimes up the carbs etc. It's worth checking everything out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.