Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I purchased my bike last August the fuel monitoring and warning system worked just fine. I read the manual and it indicated that the red low fuel light would come on at a set level (one gallon reserve from memory). Furthermore, at another lower level the light would start to flash.

I tested the system by letting my tank go nearly dry and the system worked as it should.

Fast forword to a few months later. I had noticed that the fuel indicator had been on one bar for quite a while. I was thinking that some minor maintenance that I had performed recently had really paid off. I was tooling down the interstate on the way to a root canal and you guessed it; the bike died and coasted to the side of I-10.

I looked deep into the tank and could not detect any fuel. I sheepishly got on the cell and called my wife to come to my rescue. So obviously the low fuel lamp does not work anymore. The level guage seems to still work fine and I now fuel as soon as I am down to one bar and that will work just fine.

I suppose I can live forever with the bike if this is the only problem that I have to deal with. However, I would like to keep the bike with everything functioning if at all possible.

So can anyone tell me what are the likely causes and how difficult and expensive this repair will be? I have a good arsenal of tools and am very mechanically inclined (I can screw anything up!)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Cheezyryder! :waving::waving:

There's a white and blue wire that provides a ground to your low fuellight that comes off the fuel gauge at least the schematic I'm looking at indicates that. Put a ground on the blue and white wire and the bulb should illuminate if the ignition key is on. If it doesn't it's the wire, or lamp or the socket. If it does it looks like the gauge or sender is defective.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with my first 1983 Aspencade. Worked when I got it, then later no. It wasn't the tank indicator.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

exavid wrote>>> "Put a ground on the blue and white wire and the bulb should illuminate if the ignition key is on. If it doesn't it's the wire, or lamp or the socket. If it does it looks like the gauge or sender is defective."

The bulb illuminates with the key on and the engine off, so I would think it is not the lamp or socket. I am not sure about the wire. I will have to read the schematic and think about it a while.

cheezy

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

That is correct. When the key is turned on the fuel light comes on for approximately two seconds. All of the lamps do. The oil lamp is the only one that stays on after two seconds. Well the high beam lamp will stay on as well IF you have the high beams on.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

WOW looking at my literature I am now the proud owner of a 1986 Aspencade instead of a 1984. The haynes manual shows that wiring diagram as well.

Looking at the schematic indicates that there is a fuel level sensor AND a low fuel indicator relay. I am thinking that the fuel level sensor is in the gas tank but I am not sure about the relay.

The parts catalog shows two items listed as METER UNIT,FUEL

37800-MG9-741 and 37800-MG9-742. I don't know if these are level sensor and the relay or just different level sensors for the aspencade and interstate models.

Can anyone shed some light?

Would the addition of fuel injector cleaner to the tank contributed to the issue?

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I too am interested in the fix for this. My 86 is doing the very same thing. Low fuel light on when turn on key........... and never see it light up again. Have run it out of fuel in the garage, with no low indicator light. Have run it down to 1/2 gallon of fuel many times and never a low light. Me and Cheezy could use some help here..........:clapper::baffled:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.