1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone,

My name is Tony and I am new to your site. Let me start off with MY Story:

Spring Break 2010 I went to visit my Pa-in-Law in Roanoak, Virginia. He asked me while we were there if I would take his 2003 Valkyrie for a ride and fill her up with premium gas for him. He had just had hip replacement surgery and the bike hadn't been used for the last 4 months. So I took it for a 30 mile ride and filled it up for him. When I got back he asked me if I would ride it back to Florida until he was recovered enough to get it back. So off to Fl. I go, and what an incredible ride,it was such a great bike with all the power you could want and SOOOO smooth.Well my paw-in-law came to Fl. spring break 2011and picked his valkyrie 10,000 miles later. Well when he came to the house he was driving his truck with a trailer in tow. Well on the trailer was a 1984 Goldwing Aspencade that he bought in Virginia for $1000.00 it had been sitting for awhile and he rebuilt the carbs before he came. He told me that he didn't want me to be without a bike so he bought me this one. What a graet Pa-in law...Sothats my story about the goldwing, Now I need some help with a couple issues that I have.The bike starts fine and he had it idles up to about 1400 rpms, he put a new battery in and fuel filter. Well he told me that his son test drove the bike and that it ran rough for about 5 miles then it smoothed out and he got it up to 81 mph so they loadedit up for the trip to Fl. Well after I got it unloaded I took it for a test ride ( 1st time on a goldwing ) It idled fine but under load it had no power and ran badly. So I asked him about it and he told me to replace the plugs which I did, no difference then he told me to change the fuel filter again no change and now it only went 49mph at full throttle and was popping or backfiring between my legs. So he said to drain the bowls which I did , no change. then he said to check the hoses from the air filter, I did that and it ranthe better but not perfect the popping was gone. So I took it out to see what it would do , now this is a 1200 and it should have some get up and go and after working the throttle I finally got it up to 80mph but it was alot of feathering the throttle. I then went on a 10 mile ride to the end of the road andcame to the boat rampat theriver. I turned off the bike and sat looking at the water for about 10 mins. Well when I turned the key and went to start the bike the solinoid only clicked so I tried to ark across the solinoid and nothing but click click in the solinoid the lights are bright and the radio plays but no power to the starter. So I tried to call my son to bring the trailer but had no cell service at the boat ramp and I had to walk about a mile to get some service ( yes it's thst remote where I live. ) so now the bike is still on the trailer and I just want some help to get it fixed. I would think that a Goldwing SHOULD ride better than the Valkrie but so far NOT.. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks Tony.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Well, Tony, it sounds like you are in for a learning experience regarding GL1200 bikes. They do indeed ride well and do have some get-up-and-go if all is in order. To prevent getting stranded you need to make sure the battery is good and determing that the alternator is charging. These bikes have alternator problems. Just research this forum and ask qestions if you need to. There are many members that have extenive experience with this bike. Welcome to the forum and good luck.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the main jets could still be a little clogged up. Sometimes a good cleaning wont get all the gum out of them. If you can get it running again you could try a couple tanks of Sea Foam to see if it starts clearing up. If not the carbs will have to come back off and the main jets examined.

Your clicking starter is another issue that could be several things. First thing to do is check your battery voltage. It should be up around 12.8 with the battery at full charge. Check the water level in the battery, fill with distilled water if needed, then see if the battery will charge. If the battery wont charge to up around 12.5 volts or better then the battery is probably bad or on it's last leg.

If it does charge and the bike starts you need to check to see if the stator is charging. Rev the bike to about 3000 rpm and check your battery voltage. It should be above 13.5 volts. If not you will need to d the stator test, search for GL1200 and stator for information about testing your stator. If it's charging then you probably need to pull the starter and clean it up. Also it may need new bearings/bushings. I'd guess a repair shop that does starters and alternators could probably find some new bushings. I'd also check the stater solenoid on the right hand side of the battery. The connectors can get fried and melted. There is also a "dog bone" main fuse that can get hairline cracks that probably should be replaced by a 30 amp inline auto fuse. Also on the left hand side of the battery check to see if there is a white plug on the 3 yellow wires there. If so the plug probably should be removed and the wires soldered together. Search for 3 yellow wires or stator wires for more info.

Don't know if any that is your problem but it would be a good starting point :)

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

You have an awsome pop in law! Don't worry your troubles seem minor with the bike. Just need some carb cleaning and tuning! I would definitly look at the charging system now. Remove the plug for the three yellow wires or replace it with a water proof one as I did. I had the luxury of a complete rebuild on my 87 so I put a new aftermarketstator in. Endless possibilities with this bike. Mine is on page three of my webshots link below. Enjoy IT and thank the pop in law again!

Brent

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

1st thing determine if your charging system is up to par,if its not charging it could be a possible reason that it is not running correctly

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Wow..... Your Pop in law gave you his Valk for a while then gave you a wing?? I live closer to him than you..... Can I get his number? Is he looking to adopt?......

Your problem seem typical of a bike that has been sitting for a little while. I would go through all the regular maintenance items i.e. oil change, brake fluid etc... including the timing belts if it's unknown when they were done last. And don't forget to put SeaFoam in the gas tank for a while, which may help clean those carbs a bit.

Good luck and good riding, keep us posted......

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Ditto on everything said here. There are great tutorials on this site and the 1200 site. Tricky has a real good on on the solenoid fix. PM him or neoracer. Also the wires that come from the connector next to the battery from the solenoid are a must to change out. If you find your stator is toast go with the poor boy conversion. I had some similar problems recently with a few items. I cleaned ALL connectors and did the solenoid and the Stator deal.

Another good site with lots of members here its 1200 specific mostly.

http://gl1200goldwings.com/index.php

and trickys solenoid link.

http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1004.htm

and:

http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1000.htm

This one is using the motion pro but lots of folks use the Morgan carbtune which is cheaper.

http://carbtune.com/:waving:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ok A BIG thank-you to all who responded to my SOS call.
I checked all the things that were mentioned the wires were already soldered by my Pa-in-law The voltage was 12.48 on the battery and 14.52 when idleing around 3000 rpms so I just tapped on the starter with a hammer and it busted right off. Now today when I get home I will buy some seafoaam and fill her up with premium and see what happens. Hope to be riding her to work on Thursday.
Again Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you. :july4thflag::jumper::jumper:

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

No need for premium, the 1200 likes it's 87 octane. Glad she's running again :)

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Yea my Ride seems to not like the premium as much as the 87 also.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

By the way you can get a starter rebuild kit for around 25 bucks or less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.