Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 Aspencade that cylinders 3&4 stop firing above idle. All wiring and coils have been checked out. Pulse generators both at 10 not 12 +\- 100 as per specs. Is there a way to check the output of pulse generators?

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I have a 1984 Aspencade that cylinders 3&4 stop firing above idle. All wiring and coils have been checked out. Pulse generators both at 10 not 12 +\- 100 as per specs. Is there a way to check the output of pulse generators?
Yes the PG's should be about 1 volt AC. Does it help if you add choke when it is acting up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the PG's should be about 1 volt AC. Does it help if you add choke when it is acting up?
No. Bike starts, revs a bit (no spark on 3&4 checked with timing light) slows to idle and spark appears. Bike runs on 1&2 at higher RPM. I've had thoughts of one side PG failure. Can you give me details of checking PG for AC?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. Bike starts, revs a bit (no spark on 3&4 checked with timing light) slows to idle and spark appears. Bike runs on 1&2 at higher RPM. I've had thoughts of one side PG failure. Can you give me details of checking PG for AC?
Did a bit of research re AC check. Mine is not good, very low to 3&4. Ordered, used of course, off ebay. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Could flip flop the coils just to be sure if you want.
So 1&2 were in the 1 VAC range and the 3&4 were low especially at higher RPM?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could flip flop the coils just to be sure if you want.
So 1&2 were in the 1 VAC range and the 3&4 were low especially at higher RPM?
1&2 weren't all that great (below 1) but 3&4 were definitely low like .2 or so. 3&4 stopped firing much above idle with the timing light. I don't have a specific figure but know it just quit firing. Timing light indicated steady firing on 1&2. With the AC test, 1&2 bounced around below 1 but 3&4 were definitely bad. I've been messing with this bike for a while but never did the AC test. I'll install the used PG and see if things are fixed. I got new coils, plug wires, ends, as well as a different ICU, etc last summer. I'm an old man (pushing 80) and use this as a project. Like to tinker with things. I've got another 84 I ride. I didn't check the AC at different RPMs. I've seen the AC test mentioned before but your comment motivated me to get it done. I've been suspicious of the PG all along.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
the ONLY valid test is the A/C test between any two of the 3 windings.
should be 50-70 VAC at 3,000 RPM. With the yellow wires cut loose from the harness. Open circuit voltage test here.

forget the ohm meter, except looking for a Short to ground/frame of the stator. That is the only valid ohm meter test, looking for shorts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
should be 50-70 VAC at 3,000 RPM. With the yellow wires cut loose from the harness. Open circuit voltage test here.

forget the ohm meter, except looking for a Short to ground/frame of the stator. That is the only valid ohm meter test, looking for shorts.
OK

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts

John, I think you are talking about testing the stator. He is testing the output of the PG's. Right church but wrong pew. 😎

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John, I think you are talking about testing the stator. He is testing the output of the PG's. Right church but wrong pew. 😎
I recognized the stator test. Just wasn't quite sure how to respond so I just said "OK".

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
duh,
guess I have a sunstroke going on..... hotter'n blazes in Eureka Springs, AR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John,
At our age we are allowed more than one mistake..For you, that is number one. 🆒 😎
For what ever it's worth, didn't disturb me at all. Like anyone with yrs on them, my list is long. Not knowing the other person, I just didn't want to offend.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
For what ever it's worth, didn't disturb me at all. Like anyone with yrs on them, my list is long. Not knowing the other person, I just didn't want to offend.
My skin is armor plated :)

quite often, my fingers out run my brain cells.
I call it TypeLexia :unsure:o_O

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
Check the input voltage to the coils, black/white wire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dave0430
Voltage of black/white. AC or DC. My first thought was AC but then got to wondering.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts