Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 1200 standard
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi 84 g.w. fuel pump crapped so I bought a new one on eBay. When I plug it in to the connector it doesn't pump gas I tried both nozels no output plenty of gas in the tank, the electrical connector registers 12volts at the pins I measured the electrical input connectors on both pumps one registers 1 ohm and the other pump 0 ohms. The polarties are ground and 12v d.c.
So what is the screw up any help? I'm assuming the fuel pump is a coil.

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
It is just a electric magnet. If it gets power & ground and doesn't work, it doesn't work.

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
Thx would polarity of the 12volts matter. Right now 12 volts to case ground the other to 12volts hot.
What? You can't have 2 12v sources, it amounts to 0 volts. There has to be 12v to one wire, ground to the other.

·
Premium Member
84 1200 standard
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gas is still flowing from the input side of the pump fuel is not being picked up by the fuel pump itself.
There is 12 volts at the connectors. ( green wire ground, yellow wire hot) same polarity as the pump wires.
Green wire from the pump common to the ground wire of the bike.

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
The pump should thump, thump, thump when connected to power. If it's not then it is no good.

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
Not sure about that dave,the pump on my 1200 is super quiet

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
It probably is with fuel pressure in it but put your hand on it and you can feel it thump occasionally.

·
Premium Member
84 1200 standard
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gas is still flowing from the input side of the pump fuel is not being picked up by the fuel pump itself.
There is 12 volts at the connectors. ( green wire ground, yellow wire hot) same polarity as the pump wires.
Green wire from the pump common to the ground wire of the bike.
Update the pump will run with direct contact to battery but when hooked up to leads nothing, could I reverse the leads positive to ground and negative to 12 volts?

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
Update the pump will run with direct contact to battery but when hooked up to leads nothing, could I reverse the leads positive to ground and negative to 12 volts?
Did you try it while cranking the engine, it won't work with just the key on, the relay prevents that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts