Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike ran out of gas, I found out my gas gauge was off showing a half tank but looking in there it only had a tiny bit of gas. I tired starting for a long time before discovering it was out of gas. I put a gallon in it still no start. Cranked it for a long time. I checked the lines for and petcock for blockage and blew air into gasline to tank. Finally got it started after jumping the fuel pump to the battery. It took a few cranks but it started and runs. Im only getting 7-8 volts to the pump is that right?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Are you sure you are testing voltage right, good connection and good ground?
I would think you should have 12V to the pump, but just running out of gas should have no effect on voltage! If it ran fine before running out of gas then it should run now.

Are you testing with pump un-hooked, or trying to run the pump while testing for volts? Another thing is if there is a load on a line, like pump trying to run, sometimes you will see lower volts on that line due to the load.

Since I can't see what your actually doing just guessing in the dark here.

Since you say it worked after connecting pump direct to battery this is odd. Now that you have it running have you tried connecting the pump back normal and see if it still runs? Could be you just had lots of air in there and took long time to fill the float bowls?

Or since you said you saw little gas, maybe you never really were out of gas and something else messed up like low volts to pump, maybe a bad wire/connection somewhere.
Not sure about the 1200, but the 1500 you can't really see the bottom of the tank anyway the way it is made, and sometimes people think they see bottom of the tank and empty when in fact they do still have near half a tank left.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The voltage is correct. The problem is that the fuel pump relay isn't really a relay. It's a solid state transistor styled device that pulses voltage to the pump. The meter probably just isn't fast enough to register. You're looking at average voltage with respect to on/off cycle.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't see any gas in tank. And no fuel was flowing from line.even after I added a gallon? After direct wiring pump it moved enough fuel to fill the filter and start bike. No I don't think running out gas made the fuel pump voltage, I was just confirming what the voltage should be. Also not sure why the lack of fuel flow?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
I had the same issue with my '85 GL1200 Aspy last year. It had sat for 3 years before I got it. Carbs were frozen, gas was junk, of course, but didn't have to do the electrolysis cleaning on the tank. Did that on the 1100, though. Worked great! Thanks again to this Forum!

I disconnected the battery, used a dull large flat screwdriver to tap the tangs of the big cap on top of the tank after removing the two wires, pulled the fuel sending unit with the float and it was cruddy. So, I blew it out with Gumout and cleaned the float and float rod with a ScotchBrite pad, put it back in the tank, and it has worked just fine ever since.

·
Born in the USSR
300 Posts
When the tank is empty and dry it usually takes time to fill carburetors with gas after you add some gas in tank. And sometimes you have to run starter for a long time. So one could imagine that the pump doesn't work. And of course such attempts to start engine will cause weak voltage. It's a common situation for bikes which have a "reserve" position on petcock (GL doesn't have it of course). When you out of gas and switch the petcock on "reserve) you have to run starter (and pump) for a very long period.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I had the same thing with mine two days ago,I think my meter read .7 when I unplugged the pump and checked at the connector.In my Clymer manual I read about the pulsing I understand very little about electrics, saying that ,I think the motor has to turn to get 12v to the pump.In my simple way of thinking,I may be wrong which I often am,I think the pulsing may explain the ticking with the 1200 fuel pump,which might get louder when starved for gas.To get gas to my carbs I removed my spark plugs and turned the motor over,put the plugs back,and it started .I'm not trying to give advice this is just what I experienced with my 1200 after sitting for a year and a half.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
I have a gl1200I 1986. When my pump stopped working consistently I replaced it with a low pressure auto parts pump using the original wiring it works just fine. So I assume there must be 12v there as that's what the new pump would need to work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The pump needs constant 12v to operate, the contacts inside control the pumping. I rebuilt mine, and pressed it all back together to stop the clicking sound. You'd need a stethoscope to hear it now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bike took 4.8 gals to fill the tank this morning. We then went for a 150 mile ride with zero issues. Over a mountain pass and lots of hills. So now I'm more confused? Is there an issue with my fuel pump because its not getting a consistent 12v or not? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
I'd run 1oz/gallon of fuel of SeaFoam or Startron for one tank and cut that in half for the next tank, then just 4-6oz/tank after that to clean things up; that's if you don't want to pull the sending unit attached to the big plug in the top of the tank as described above.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I need a new pump what's the best replacement ? I've read about using the 1985 prelude pump any others ? Thanks

·
Born in the USSR
300 Posts
The bike took 4.8 gals to fill the tank this morning. We then went for a 150 mile ride with zero issues. Over a mountain pass and lots of hills. So now I'm more confused? Is there an issue with my fuel pump because its not getting a consistent 12v or not? Thanks
As for the pump: there are 2 issues only:) It works or it doesn't work. Why are you confused about your mpg? For me it's pretty good. More than 30 miles per gallon.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Just some added info: The pump will work with a constant 12 volts, but the system is designed with an intermittent supply. The "relay" is a solid-state switch that only allows current to the pump when the ignition is pulsing, so when the engine is not running, it won't empty the tank into the engine or onto the ground. Helps prevent those fiery accidents... I don't believe that it will trigger the pump if the kill switch is off, either, but I haven't looked into that. Sounds like a "gotcha" if so. You cannot use a standard relay to replace this, BTW, the wiring is different enough that it won't function.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
New pump model

I have a gl1200I 1986. When my pump stopped working consistently I replaced it with a low pressure auto parts pump using the original wiring it works just fine. So I assume there must be 12v there as that's what the new pump would need to work.
Hi Jeff which pump did u use on your 1200 that fitted the bike?

Thx gumby

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Hi Jeff which pump did u use on your 1200 that fitted the bike?

Thx gumby
I got the universal low psi pump and about 2 feet of gas line. I mounted with zip ties to where the fuel filter was located. It was not easy and don't look that great but it works. The hardest part of it besides staying clear of the throttle linkage is hooking the pressure side to the carbs because this universal style pump the gas flows in one side and out the other. I'd rather have one I could mount as the original one but it works so I'll keep using it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My pump went out right after we got back from a 1750 mile trip. Good timing :)
I installed a 1985 prelude pump $61. Hoses needed a little encouragement to fit the pumps in and outlet. But the pump bolted right up and has worked for the last 200 miles. Bike starts better and accelerate smother not faster just a nice steady power band. Also the bike a lot more quite at idle what I thought was a lifter tick it turned out the pump was very noisy. I cut the original wire from stock pump spliced into to new pump and it became a quick plug and play. Just in case any one else wants an alterative to the stock pump I'd recommend this one. I'll post any updates or issues as they happen. Thanks Ron

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fastymz, do you have any pictures of the pump installed? Mine has the clicking also. I have read of the Prelude pumps, but have not seen one installed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its not as pretty as the stock pump, but then again my bike needs a lot of cosmetic work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.