Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was just riding along for about two hours, minding my own business, when all of a sudden, I heard this knocking. I rode directly to the Honda shop where I was told it may be a main bearing, and if so, parts and labour, (labor for those of you south of me), may exceed the value of the bike. Only $1500.00 for a crankshaft from the stealership, 20 to 30 hours labour @ about $90.00/hr , and other goodies as we go along. $$$

document.write('/forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif');

I just finished a nice two week ride with my wife all around lake Ontario, through N.Y. up to Tobermory, over to Goderich and London, and returned home. Glad it didn't happen on the trip.

I bought this bike new in '84, and only have 262,000 Km. on it. (I have a trials bike that needs riding too, and a lawn to cut, etc.) All it's ever needed was the stator, done by Honda warranty, a battery every 5 or 6 years, lots of tires, and the regular maintainance.

So my wife bought me a bike lift for an early Xmas present this year and I took the engine out. Here are the results. A picture's worth a thousand words, but a video says it all.

http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/itsmeUncleA/?action=view&current=Bikerev1_0003.flv

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I changed out an engine for twowheeler in August for nearly the same noise. I haven't cracked the case, but verified the noise was coming from the crank.

Are you rebuilding the engine or replacing it with a low mileage used engine?

John

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I definitely want to rebuild this one. The hone pattern is still on the cylinder walls. It has always run so well and is in great shape inside and out. I just can't believe what a rip-off Honda's prices are!

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

There may be a lot lost in the video sound recording, but that noise did not have the deep low freq. knock of a main or rod bearing. Sounded to me more like an upper end noise, coming from the valve train. Hard to tell much from the pics in the video.

Probably a lotless costlyto locate a decent used engine. Wishing you well.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
Probably a lotless costlyto locate a decent used engine. Wishing you well.
That is why I asked. I understand wanting to work with an engine that has served you well, but I also look at the economics of it. If you can find a used engine for 1/2 or 1/4 the price of rebuilding the old one, does it make sense to rebuild? Just my thoughts. :)

John

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

My gut feeling initially was top end also...hydraulic lifters, maybe frayed belts, water pump, loose bolt on the clutch basket, rotor magnets, lots of thoughts. The lower compression from one cylinder sent me to tear it down.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

That definitely sound top end. Check your oil pressure and level. Stethoscope around and pinpoint the noise, and go from there.

Definitely has valve train written all over it , to my ear.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I haven't had any luck yet here in Ontario finding many Bike Recyclers, let alone an engine. I would gladly spend less money. Years ago we wouldn't think twice about rebuilding, it was cost effective then...not any more.

In the meantime I have purchased another Goldwing while looking for an engine. It's an '85 with 56,000 Km. That's not many miles ... 35,000 or so. Maybe I'm good for another 25 years. But I would still like to rebuild if possible.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi when it comes to major things like this its not what the value of the bike is worth but what its worth to you (enjoyment) i dont know but can you get the shaft reground and the larger berings to suit

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

The engine is already apart, the #4 piston travels up and down an extra couple mm. The bearings at the rod end are worn right down. The rod at the crank is out of round and undersized now. Honda says these cranks must be replaced, can't be repaired. We'll just have to see about that.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

a good engine machine shop should be able to regrind the shaft its the shells that could be the prob but thats not to say there honda in the first place

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

You might try cheap cycle parts .com for parts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

To me it sounds like a calasped lifter

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,135 Posts
imported post

Give Bob's Motorcycle Parts in Phoenix a try. Google will find them.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

every once in awhile, mine gets a knock that sounds just like it. It lasts only 1-2 seconds. When I did a crankcase flush, it was greatly reduced in frequency and duration. My guess is a clogged oil journal, at least on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I don't think these engines ever wear the honing off the cylinders. My '85 had over 96,000 miles and still had honing cross hatch at the top of the cylinders. It would also make a sound like that for a few seconds off and on when the engine was cold. I figured it was a lifter not getting a good supply of cold oil. Running some MMO helped some.

John

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Uncle A, I have seen several crankshafts listed on Ebay lately. Here's a little hint.Do an advanced search in Motorcycle Parts for GL1200 crankshafts (or any other item you are looking for) and put a check in compleated listings only ( do this if none are presently listed for auction). Look at the listings and if the auction closed and the item did not sell, contact the seller and see if he still has it. He can do a buy-it-now for you and will probably take less the second time. Pat

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I've never used Ebay. (Dial-up is slow!) Buying something sight unseen that must be accurate within tolerances concerns me. If I can find something here in Ontario, I would just pick it up. I will watch Ebay though, that will give me an idea of prices anyway.

All advice is always appreciated!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.