Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was wondering if any body knows why my fuel pump is all of the sudden making a ticking sound and whether or not is the relay or the pump itself causing it....Should I replace either part? the bike runs great and has 32k.miles on it. Thanks for your response in advance.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

wouldn't hurt to check the fuel filter isn't clogged up, but the ticking noise is a normal sound for the pump on my aspy, so hard to be sure anything is wrong at all really.

it doesn't run continually, it only starts up as the bike requires it, usually I hear it when the choke is on, so do you think you might be just hearing it when the bike is under load uphill etc?

nice to see a standard by the way congrats.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Historically the ticking sound comes from a pump that may be about to fail- my history anyway.
Bobby

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Mine ticks when I'm starting to run out of gas, so as Oldishwinger said, check the filter.

If the filter is clean you can run a flow test on the pump, just follow the procedure outlined in the service manual. Keep in mind, things other than the pump itself or the filter can cause reduced flow so if it's slow, check the petcock and hoses too.

Thebad news is, that pump isnot available from Honda. I don't know what is different from the ones that are still available.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks fellows, I will start out with the fuel filter first I guess though is only about 2 to 3 years old but God only knows what that Ethynol gas that we have here in Fla. might be doing to it. It does tick more often when I shut the petcock off as the flow of fuel is reduced but is really loud, you can hear it while riding at 40 to 50 mph it clicks a lot more often while idling say about every 2 sec. I do have a shop manual for it but you can't beat the voice of experience and specially from fellow Gold Wingers cause we ride ours. Hehehehe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.