Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have 1984 gl1200 want to find out how strong the alternator is have heard some bad things about them and the last thing I want to do is to burn it out and have to replace it, I want to put some driving lights on it, the bike has nothing but what came with it from the factory plane set of analog gages no CB has the radio want to put 2 55W halogen spotlights one on each side will it handel them?:confused:

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
You are going to hear a barrage of people telling you that they are junk, they will go out..do the poorboy conversion (at $600.00) and all that..I have never had an issue with mine, Mike has never had an issue with his 84, kevin has never had an issue his 84 and frank has never had a issue with his 85..now mine is an interstate, as well as kevin's but the rest are aspencades..but we all run stereo's, amps, J&M systems, GPS as well as some other electronics as well as two of us pull trailers (added lights) but as a side note..we have all eliminated the plug from the stator and soldered them together..that what seems to give the most problem, they get dirty and overheat (melt) but stators are like anything else..sometimes they go out. just like an alt on a car.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I looked at putting two 55 w driving lights on my 84 and found that there wasn't enough to run 3 - 55w lights. The battery would not charge with all 3 on. I went to 2 - 35w lights and that was just about right.

FYI I've had 3 GL1200's and never an issue with the stator. But then I removed that white 3 wire connector, to the left of the battery, and soldered the Yellow wires directly on all 3 of them.

·
IBA Member
373 Posts
As already stated, 55w is a little too much for the factory system. I put 2x55w round halogen lights on my bike and the voltage would drop down below 10 when they were on. Switched to a pair of 35w halogen and they weren't as bad. Dropped voltage to 11.8 which is ok for a small amount of driving time but not ideal as it is below charging. Found a pair of LED lights a 1000bulbs and they are just as bright as 55's and don't touch the charging system one bit. just my input.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Yup very important to do the work to help ensure your stator isn't damaged prematurely, and go LED as much as possible. Unless you have an LTD, in which case I think the stator output is 500 watts, then it will be 350 watts at around 3,000 rpm, not a great deal to play with but for me with a 35 watt HID headlamp, and the option (I haven't done it yet) of installing quality (SuperbrightLED.com?) LED's at the rear brake/tail allows additional lighting/accessory options.
Cheers,
Peter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.