Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Whats up? just found this fourm while looking for a part. I have an 84 Aspencade and the fan isnt kicking on when it should. We tested the fan and the motor is good. Honda shop wants $75 + tax for the sensor switch thing that will make it work again. I think I found one for a little cheaper. $31 with shipping so that should be fixed before its warm enough to ride.

Another thing that I dont know if Ive fixed or not is the right side speaker. One minute Ill be riding and it will work fine, next Ill hit a bump and it will stop workin. When I hit another bumpit will start workin again. I took it out and disconnected it and reconnected it and it seems to work fine now, but the real test will come when its time to ride I guess. Any ideas on that one? loose connection? or could it be deeper?

---Eric

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

The fan on my 84 doesn't kick in until the engine gets really hot, in fact it only comes on,on super hot days when I'm sitting and idling, so double check before you spend any more cash on it.

You most likely have a bad connection in one of the many radio circuits. Get a manual and look for those connectors, then clean them with electrical cleanerand seal them dialectric compound.

Vic

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Something is wrong with it though because the fan wont kick on at all. It has came extremely close tooverheating once at idle when we were getting ready to leave one day. Had to jump on and take it down the road right quick to cool it off, the fan never kicked on and wont.

---Eric

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Replace the sensor and be done with it...

Look back in the forum.. You'll find a lot of discussion on the speaker blank out when hitting a bump..

Look for articles written by Dave Campbell... Good advice and it's free...

Hey... Where are the GL1200 icons???:leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

1984Aspencade wrote:
Another thing that I dont know if Ive fixed or not is the right side speaker. One minute Ill be riding and it will work fine, next Ill hit a bump and it will stop working. When I hit another bumpit will start working again. I took it out and disconnected it and reconnected it and it seems to work fine now, but the real test will come when its time to ride I guess. Any ideas on that one? loose connection? or could it be deeper?

---Eric
Most of the time it's the connector on the back of the radio. Try some contact cleaner on the plug and socket. If you have a Clymer or Honda manual you should be able to trace out the wiring for the right speaker and clean up the connectors involved. You might also check the two push on fittings behind the speaker. A little judicious thumping on things might isolate the connector doing the evil.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys, I think I may have fixed it though cuz weve jarred the bike and thumped on it some and it never cuts out. If it does it next time i ride though Ill be sure to check this stuff.

---Eric

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

1984Aspencade wrote:
Something is wrong with it though because the fan wont kick on at all. It has came extremely close to overheating once at idle when we were getting ready to leave one day. Had to jump on and take it down the road right quick to cool it off, the fan never kicked on and wont.

---Eric
HAy Eric is from my Home State! KY. Granpappy was from Hazzard. For Ye across the pond, Hazzard KY is a large, progressive urban city that is open to new ideas. Strangers are always welcome at night in Hazzard. Its South of Rabbit Hash.

"Close to overheating on idle" is bad news. Makes the engine go BOOM. Usually a combo-meal of rich carbs and french fried electrical connections/ stator. Carbs go a bit rich from age, ignition voltage falls and "great balls of fire" out the exhaust.

Fan should come on at 5 bars on the engine temp gauge and off at 3 (Aspencade digital gauge). Something needs a-fixin in the fan switch circuit. May be as simple as a bad connection. Cant get at the switch without removing the radiator but its easy to tap in elsewhere and read through the circuit with ohmmeter. If you cant figger it out, im a few hours North.

Speaker usually = poor connection on the back of the radio. If you suspect a bad speaker (not impossible) swap them side to side.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Had the same problem exactly with one speaker on my 86A. Removed the speaker and one wire slipped right out of the connector. New connector, crimped, installed, Works fine.

Harry

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Why not fit a bypass switch, make sure the switch is iluminated,while your messing around with the temp sensor, that way if it fails again or you think your going to be stuck in traffic awhile just switch it on and your engine should cool down pretty rapidly,

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yeah, I know where Hazzard is for sure.

Honda said it was either the fan motor or the switch that tells it when to come on. We tested the fan, it works fine so we got the switch thing ordered, but not from Honda, they wanted $75 + tax.

---Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.