Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody. I'm a new Gold Wing Facts member and relatively new bike owner. I'm having an issue. As you'll likely be able to see, there is thick, putrid smoke coming from the right tailpipe only.

Here is the link to the video:

It permeates my clothes and everything in the surrounding area. I've read about white exhaust smoke being a problem with old Goldwings that lean on their kickstand - oil leaks out a bit and burns. But this seems different because the smoke is emitting from the right tailpipe and the bike leans to the left on the kickstand.

I had to do a few things to the bike in order to get it in roadworthy condition. The strange thing is, when I first got the bike running at the beginning of the summer, the strong exhaust smell wasn't a problem. I think it only started happening after I cleaned the carburetor. Cleaning the carburetor definitely helped clear the hesitation I was experiencing at the lower range of every gear....but perhaps something happened in the process to lead to this exhaust problem. Or maybe it's something else. Here are the things I've done to the bike:

-New battery
-New spark plugs, fresh oil/filter change.
-New thermostat and new thermo radiator fan switch, plus new coolant during flush.
-Bled front/rear brakes and clutch
-Carburetor completely taken apart, every component cleaned, and put back together.

If anyone has any ideas about why this is happening and how I can fix it, I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you very much!

-Chris

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have you ridden it much? It sounds like a little water getting into the combustion chamber.

It could have stuff in the catalytic converter that needs time to burn out. Are you using or losing coolant? Its not a big stream like a blown head gasket.

Again, how much has it been ridden?
David

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Looks like the exhaust has been changed so no connecting of the exhaus.? I’d guess blown head gasket,the do SMOKE when left iron the side stand but stop fast after starting.
Looking at your video,might be valve guide seals,doesn’t look white like liquid.
Is the oil level right and not too much oil in it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys. Thanks for your responses.

The bike has not been ridden much. It had sat for a year before I got it. I actually don't even have my M1 license yet, so it's been my buddy who has taken it out for test drives...but again, those are very short. It's probably been driven 5 - 10 miles max since I've had it. But I did check the coolant reservoir and it is empty (I had it filled up to the appropriate level about a month ago too long ago). I've been occasionally idling the bike in the driveway over the past two weeks, with that smoke coming out. So the head gasket seems like it may be the likely culprit. It looks like my motorcycle education is just beginning with this bike lol.

Is there any way to confirm a blown head gasket, or is the lack of coolant in the reservoir/smoke coming from one tailpipe, enough to diagnose?

Bad news if it is a head gasket...I'll have to do some research and watch some videos...but not all that bad because I like to learn and I like a challenge.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Not hard to do,remove the exhaust the timing belt,then the head can be removed BUT don’t anything but Honda gaskets, for that job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll definitely use Honda gaskets. That's good to know that it's not a huge job. I figured it would involve removing the engine....and for a rookie like me, that would be daunting. The internet is awesome though. If you seek knowledge, you can find it. Thanks a lot guys. I'll fix this thing up and post a link with the bike operating as it should.

I appreciate your help.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
its common for the older wing motors,just age,there’s small o ring in there.use caution,ther was another owner here and replaced his twice and the bought another head,his was cracked,so hope you can see where it’s bad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, so it wasn't the gasket in his case, but the actual head. Ok, I'll inspect....hopefully will be able to see where the seal is worn, and if I can't see that, I'll look for cracks.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum family .
Study before taking this apart to be sure you understand how to get the timing back correct. A cam out of time will bend valves.
Also when removing there is a small bolt down low on the head do not for get to remove it. and look for the oil orfice and dont loose it.
This looks like an 83? Great bikes when you have it back in proper condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I'm happy to be a part of the forum. The information on here is awesome and the helpfulness of the members seems to be second-to-none. I'll definitely study and research how to get the timing belt back correctly and will take note of that bolt and oil orfice

The bike is actually an 84, GL1200. One of the previous owners had stripped all the plastic fairings off of it...put a GL1100 body cover on it, changed the headlight, and put an analogue instrument cluster where a digital had been. Many people have said, they wouldn't have recognized it as a Gold Wing. I guess those changes might be considered sacrilegious to some lol....but I think it looks pretty cool! Only issue, is analogue tachometer can't connect to the engine, so it's just there for show. I'll take a video when I'm done fixing the gasket issue. Thanks to everyone for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts