1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi I am new to the forum

One thing I would like to know,

I have just bought a 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade with 110 k on the clock it as a clattering noise coming from the engine on throttle down low revs, the last owner said this only happens when the engine is cold and disappears when hot could this be due to the carburettors being out of balance or the clutch or something other

Kev

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

Hi Kesh, welcome to the forum.

Could well be the carbs need synced. Do you know how that works, & do you have the tools? There's about a 90% chance that a shop will just make things worse.

BTW,it's doubtful anybodyhere knows where Grimsby is. Can you include the state, please?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

seems he posted over on the GL1200 site also and only location he gave was the UK

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

neoracer wrote:
seems he posted over on the GL1200 site also and only location he gave was the UK
He claims USA here. UK? is that Upper Kentucky? Uglyville, Kansas? Unskooled, Kolorado?

Just askin'. :stumped:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

No problem, Kev. I just like to know what part of the country someone is from. If they're close to other members it may work to their advantage.Also, there is a U.S. data base here, and without a state listing you wouldn't be included.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

An out-of-sync set of carbs produce quite a "death rattle" and can convince many that the engine is soon to disassemble itself in small pieces.

The one I'm riding as a commuter now was purchased with the seller certain he was selling me a pile of scrap metal. 5 minutes with vacuum gauges and a screwdriver - Purrrrr.

;)

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Could be the hydraulic lash adjusters makin' noise due to
infrequent oil changes causing crud to build up and partially
plug an oil orifice. I've seen this happen before on a 1200.

Just sayin'

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Try setting the idle to around 1,100rpm and see if it gets any quieter. In all likely-hood your carbs are due for a good sync at that mileage. If you aren't sure of the previous owner's maintenance it may be a good idea to do an engine oil flush and change... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi I would like to thanks you all for your input
Another way of describing the clattering, is it sounds like a chain snatching on throttle down at low revs less than1500rpm
Kev

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

sync it and let us know. I've got my money riding there.

By the way - the honda maint sched for the GL1200s have Syncs every 8k miles.

Many would think that to be a touch extreme. It's every 2 or 3 oil changes.

I try to at least visit the sync on mine in that timespan.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

Hi,

Grimsby is near Hull/Scarborough (yes the place the Scaroboro Fair song comes from) and is a very famous fishing town on the North East side of the UK. In economic terms it is about as far removed from London as you can imagine and all of its industry such as steel.fishing and heavy industry is in decline.

Can we do all we can to help this guy out - I guess he wouldn't be aware of how to begin to add guages to his bike.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Hi I have synchronized the carbs number 3 was well out this as stopped the clattering
A new problem as appeared the engine runs well when cold soon as it is warm the engine runs extremely erratic and unable to tick over
Could this be that the carbs need a clean out
Kev

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

I think it's more likely a stuck choke or possibly an air or vacuum leak. Can you tell if it is running lean or rich? Look at the plugs. Smell them. What do they say is going on?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Can carbs being out of sync on a 1500 produce a similar "death rattle" as well?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

To top it all my fuel pump has just packed in any one got a spare one
Kev

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Flame away here but what about low grade gas. I got a bad tank full once and thought the engine was coming apart. The wife was the one to say "hey, what about bad gas". Drained it out and put in premium. Never looked back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.