Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you for having me.
Several questions to ask if I may.
1.) About a year and a half ago, noticed when I tried start the bike, bendix gear engagex for a few seconds the would chatter after several attempt would engage long enough to crank the bike but took the battery way down. Finally yesterday couldn't start the bike at all had to re charge battery and fight to get running. Have ordered a new starter will intsall it Wednesday or Thursday when it arrives. For my own edification am I describing a bad starter or coil or both?
2.) Shen drivng and the motor picks up a load I.e. going up hill the rpms drops and have to downshift sometimes several gears develops strange motor sound higher pitched sound starts surging and then drops rpms again lose. 20 miles of forwards speed. Tried seaform to clean plug contacts as per a mechanic was told would clean out carburetors jets. The problem goes away after driving 5 or 6 miles then performances normal this condition effect primarily 3, 4 and OD. OD is adversely the most under load.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Issue one is more likely to be the starter clutch located in the rear of engine than the starter itself.

Issue two sounds like a slipping clutch.

Both issues maybe improved by repeated oil changes.

If the oil changes don't improve things you may have to take the rear case off to fix things which means removing the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Quote" Tried seaform to clean plug contacts as per a mechanic was told would clean out carburetors jets."

I am presuming the seafoam was added to the gas?

To loosen a sticky starter clutch add the seafoam to the engine oil, run for about 300 miles or so and change the oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
although I've mentioned it earlier about the bike went under load like going up hill rapidly loses RPM's and as much is 12 to 15 miles an hour forward speed even more so if its a steeper incline once your quest the hill and start down it may take a while like 5 or 10 miles for the condition you clear itself up again so that its writing normal I haven't told number of possibilities but no one really wants to work on these older bikes and the mechanics that do, some of them are absolutely untrustworthy being of the shade tree mechanic type rather than someone is truly skilled inwhat they do. I would like to do the work myself to make sure that it is done right but I am NOT knowledgeable working on bikes I do know cars I do know trucks particularly the older ones.
Barry

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I misread your initial post so disregard my suggestion of clutch slippage.

Loosing speed on hills and having to down shift is normal.
Taking 5 to 10 miles to recover is not.
Check your fuel delivery, pump and filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one more thing even though I'm living in Florida and cold should not be a factor enough choking the motor to start it up when I do use the job it initially behaves like its not getting choked at all yet once the bike is running the RPM stay up until you disengage choke?
Barry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.