Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Galford, or anyone,

You said back in May 2006, regarding your frustrated dad: "It is a 1984 Goldwing Aspencade - and from what I have gathered it barley runs - its very difficult to get started - when it was running it had no power on throttling it - and could never fully take the choke off. He even took it to the local mechanic that was supposedly well versed with them and paid $500 for the repair - after witch its still not running...."

My brother now has an '84 1200 with the exact symptoms, needing full choke to start (normal),but never can take choke off or give any throttle without it dying!

Did you ever get a resolution? We have a recent carb rebuild, good fresh, clear gas, good fuel filter; have had some problems with mucho gas leaking down to crankcase, if fuel valve not turned off. ??

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
imported post

The carbs are going to have to be taken off and cleaned, just that simple. Does your brother live in the area?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Brother lives to the East about 100 miles in the Rison, Cleveland County area.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

I agree with the removal and cleaning of the carbs. Float levels need tobe checked as well. But I never need choke to start my '84 Aspy. Prior to carb rebuild and sync, choke (about half) was needed. Since then I don't even touch the choke to crank her up.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

If a bike wont run without the choke on it usually indicates that the slow jets are plugged or that there are air leaks. Since the carbs were rebuilt you probably need to go back and make sure the vacuum hoses are on. As Dennis mentioned, cheap carb kit parts fit poorly or the rubber rings split causing air leaks in the carbs. Or it could be that the slow jet circuit didn't get cleaned out completely. You can check for air leaks using a propane torch (don't light it :) ) or carb cleaner and check for leaks where the manifold connects to the block. When you find an air leak the idle should increase.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

DaveO & Extracto,

I think I see the writing on the wall, about the carb rebuild . . . 1st step is to check with the guy that did the rebuild up in Searcy. It does not seem like it was that long ago. I don't know if he will relick his calf, or not.

The comment about no choke needed to start your '84is interesting. I have had a long list of wonderful running Hondas over the past 40 years, and every one of them with a manual choke was very cold natured, needing full choke to start and a slow weaning of the choke as it slowly warmed, usually being half choke until several miles down the road.

:smiler:

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

JWhitmore44, I wonder about the vacuum hose leaking. Actually, when he first got the Wing back from the guy that rebuilt the carbs, it ran the best it could possibly run in the year or 2 that he has had it. Then it sat over a couple of cold months. He had put Stabil in the fuel, and now has Seafoam in the tank. A very sad situation.

Xtracho , sorry about the mispelling of your name in my earlier post. :?

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

David in the Woods wrote:
The comment about no choke needed to start your '84is interesting. I have had a long list of wonderful running Hondas over the past 40 years, and every one of them with a manual choke was very cold natured, needing full choke to start and a slow weaning of the choke as it slowly warmed, usually being half choke until several miles down the road.

:smiler:
Mine fires right up no problem. Now, when she sits for several weeks at a time I may have to choke her a little to get her going. But for everyday riding, I don't touch the choke.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
imported post

David in the Woods wrote:
JWhitmore44, I wonder about the vacuum hose leaking. Actually, when he first got the Wing back from the guy that rebuilt the carbs, it ran the best it could possibly run in the year or 2 that he has had it. Then it sat over a couple of cold months.
If it ran good when he got it back then the carbs were done correctly, the sitting is what did it in.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

So, DaveO, have I just been lucky the few times I let my Wing sit a couple of cold months, or are our newer bikes with newer carburetors less prone to sitting problems?

Do the symptoms sound like it could be a loose vacuum hose, or something other possible than fouled jets?

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
imported post

You won't have that problem with fuel injection and a plastic tank like if it had carbs.
It could have had a vacuum hose either rotted or a varmint chewed through it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.