Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a couple of good threads on the how to do the fork rebuild, but I haven't found anyone listing the complete set of consumables to do a fork rebuild. Does anyone out there have that?

·
Administrator
21,958 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking about a full list of wear items. Bushings, seals, etc. I am adding progressive springs and 15 weight oil.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Tonimus, You have a private message.....that should help....!

Depending on your weight, two-up riding etc. etc., you may want to use 10 wt with the Progressive springs.

I am not a "full figured" person and I am using 10 wt fork oil......!!

Ah yeah, I am aware of what Progressive recommends. But that doesn't always work best for everyone.....!!

Just like shoes......one size doesn't fit all.....................:ROFL:

·
Administrator
21,958 Posts
If it's your first time with this bike, I'd say get the seals and bushing up front.

The '84 has and extra set of bushings.

Look at the fiche and make sure you have the needed o-rings. Some, like #61, you have to get from Honda. I think, no matter how carefully you plan, you always end up needing to run to a parts store for an o-ring or washer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The list I came up with:
#68x2 top bolt o-ring
#65x4 air crossover o-rings
#39x2 Fork seal set
#15x2 backup ring
#16x2 guide bushing
#17x4 slider bush
#60x2 special washer
#69x2 (I think this is the anti-dive housing molded o-ring)

#66 should also be on the list but isn't available. 37.5x2mm o-ring. I think this is a JIS S38 o-ring.

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
The '84 has and extra set of bushings.
The newer wide lower bushing replaces the 2 narrow ones on the 84. The superseding # is on the fiche but the amount required still says 4 instead of 2.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is #15 backup ring a wear item that should be replaced?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a wear item, you don't need to replace it.

Did you see it on the list I sent you.......???????????? I don't think so.....!!
Yes I did. I just wanted to make sure I had everything I may need. Western Honda is only 20 minutes from my house, so I can save on a delivery fee.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It can be... if the forks do not come apart easily. I just recently disassembled a set of forks on an 81 and in the process the bushing wore out the backup rings, but since you are only 20 miles away from WesternHonda, I wouldn't worry about it.
Western Honda doesn't stock the parts though. They get them from Mother Honda. I may just replace them anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Yeah, That's the idea, replace parts weather needed (or not)..........!!:ROFL:

I have heard money grows on tree's.........!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts