Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a non running “ran when parked 5 years ago” GL1200 interstate. I got the bike home and the engine seemed to be locked up. I pored some MMO in the cylinders while I pulled off the timing belt covers and once I got a bar on the crank bolt it would move freely back and forward half a turn but it seems to be hitting something hard pretty much 180 degrees apart.
Is there anything common that might cause this? I would like to not have to pull the engine down completely because the bores look good through a bore scope, the valves arnt sticking because I removed the timing belts and cause move them freely.
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Administrator
26,938 Posts
It could be a valve stuck open, you can remove the valve covers and see if one of them isn't closing.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Just removing the timing belts does not close all the valves. The cams open and close the valves and if the cams do not move you are banging a piston into any that are being held open by the cams.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just removing the timing belts does not close all the valves. The cams open and close the valves and if the cams do not move you are banging a piston into any that are being held open by the cams.
Yes I understand that. I had a bore scope in the spark plug holes to make sure the pistons were down low enough so I could turn the cam gear and make sure the valves are free

1 - 4 of 4 Posts