Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone one know the torque specs and order for tightening head bolts down on a 1984 GL1200I. The help would be much appreciated.:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Six bolts. Bottom center is #1, top center is #2, bottom left is #3, top right is #4, bottom right is #5 and top left is #6 (cross torque pattern)
Torque is 40 ft/lbs. I torque to 20 first time around. Then to 40 on the second sequence, then to 40 again for the third torque.
There is a torque for the bottom 6 mm bolt, but tight is good enough.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Perhaps Dennis has a secret source for this as I can't find it.
I just use the moly 60. It seems like I'm always buying some anyway.
Lightly lubricate the bolts, and the portion of the washer that rides against the head. Notice there is a flat side to the washer. It faces the head.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
While were giving out tips on head bolts I have one you can take it or leave it but here it is.

While the head is off with moly 60 on the treads of those bolts run them in the block by hand to be sure they seat as deep as they should and turn in smoothly. I did not check the first time I replaced the head gaskets. The second time I found metal bits in my #1 hole Bolt went in great but stopped short of where it should have stopped. I modified a tooth brush with a dremal cut off wheel.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,322 Posts
Just use any ol' grease or lard that you can find.
Iffen ya ain't got no tork rench, jus' hang a 40# barbell wieght offen the end of yer vice grips 'n' yer good to go.
:weightlifter:

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Just use any ol' grease or lard that you can find.
Iffen ya ain't got no tork rench, jus' hang a 40# barbell wieght offen the end of yer vice grips 'n' yer good to go.
:weightlifter:

That's how I did mine and it worked great now my bike only smokes when I put water in it:ROFL: Leave the water out and its air cooled right. Just like a Hardly David's Son.:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Help

:praying:So the first time I did it I only read the first reply on torque specs. Well needless to say the heads leaked like a sieve. I was pretty pissed. I came back to this thread to see that I needed to grease the threads and washers. I have been to busy riding around on the 1994 GL1500SE that I bought with only 49300 miles on it. Now I have the 1200 ripped apart again. I ran a tap down each hole and got a lot of crap out. Also I ran the bolts through a dye(sp). I am going to grease bolts and washers also. is there anything else I need to know. Is there any opinion on the the head gaskets from Saber Cycle. That is where I bought the first and second set from. I am willing to take any advise that I can get to make sure this gets done right this time.

Thanks very much appreciated.

:waiting:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I have never used SC's head gaskets, but every other gasket, seal, or pump that came from them has failed miserably and had to be replaced with OEM or other venders items, even O rings from ACE hardware are far superior to SC's junk.

I added an extra 2 lbs. to the head bolts on my 1200 and have not had any issues with the head gaskets since.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,322 Posts
There is a pretty good chance the previous gaskets failed because they were aftermarket. Always use OEM on important stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
:praying:So the first time I did it I only read the first reply on torque specs. Well needless to say the heads leaked like a sieve. I was pretty pissed. I came back to this thread to see that I needed to grease the threads and washers. I have been to busy riding around on the 1994 GL1500SE that I bought with only 49300 miles on it. Now I have the 1200 ripped apart again. I ran a tap down each hole and got a lot of crap out. Also I ran the bolts through a dye(sp). I am going to grease bolts and washers also. is there anything else I need to know. Is there any opinion on the the head gaskets from Saber Cycle. That is where I bought the first and second set from. I am willing to take any advise that I can get to make sure this gets done right this time.

You get what you ask for. You asked for specs and sequence. You didn't ask for a detailed 'how to".

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts

I don't think the problem with your leaking head gaskets was because you torqued the heads the wrong way... I think your problem started with where you bought the head gaskets at.

There are too many posts concerning sabre cycle's parts for me to even consider buying parts from them, so that should tell you my opinion of them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Something else to remember...

There's an oil passage tube on the top between the cylinders.. It requires 2 new o-rings.

If you're pulling the heads (again). Get OEM gaskets and o-rings. You'll be glad you did.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,322 Posts
You get what you ask for. You asked for specs and sequence. You didn't ask for a detailed 'how to".
In reality, his question was "does anybody know the spec and sequence". Not "Could you tell me the spec, etc".

You could have answered "yes", and been done with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.