Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am 6'-1" tall and sit rather high on the seat of my Gold Wing; consequently I get a lot of wind baffling around my head at 100 km/hr (60 mph). I have raised the windshield to its maximum height with no noticeable improvement. How do I tell whether the windshield is the regular one or already has the taller windshield installed? I have only owned this bike for one month and have been unable to determine much of its past. It runs extremely well, is excellent cosmetically, is definitely a keeper and I intend to make this bike fit me over the near future. Thanks in advance for your responses................Don
 

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
imported post

If you are getting buffeted then I would guess that you have the factory windshield. Usually, even with the factory shield, there isn't much buffeting of the driver. If it isn't comfortable for you then you probably need a taller one.

http://tulsaenterprises.com/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,910 Posts
imported post

I remember my 1st 'Wing, a new '77, had the Vetter fairing. That thing had a pocket of dead air, way better than my presentOEM'87 Interstate. It also allowed the stereo to be enjoyed at lower volume settings that didn't drive the amp to distortion. On really hot days, though, it was kind of a bummer; could have used more ventilation.

That said, I think most GURUs here have agreed the best windshield height is so you can just see over it when you are seated comfortably; I agree with that, for whatever its worth.

Like dingdong said, if yours isn't satisfactory to you, then you may have to peruse the after-market.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It ias a 1984 GL 1200 Interstate and I believe it has the original seat; don't know if the windshield is original but it looks shorter thansome I have seen. I am interested in the length of the taller one so that I can compare to mine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,910 Posts
imported post

I am the 3rd owner of my '87 Interstate. I am reasonably certain that the windshield is stock. It measures 21" from the rubber gasket on the outside to the top of the shield, and I did raise it to maximum extension, in an effort to minimize the buffeting. I am a bit over 6' 3" tall.

I too, would like it calmer, but not enough to spend any more $$$ on it. :waving:
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,761 Posts
imported post

If it's the stock windshield it will have the side wings and you should be able to bend it.
'87 seat sits taller. So do most aftermarket seats. OE seats have the GL logo on the lumbar support and are seldom black.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

FenderHead wrote:
I am the 3rd owner of my '87 Interstate. I am reasonably certain that the windshield is stock. It measures 21" from the rubber gasket on the outside to the top of the shield, and I did raise it to maximum extension, in an effort to minimize the buffeting. I am a bit over 6' 3" tall.

I too, would like it calmer, but not enough to spend any more $$$ on it. :waving:
Mine too is 21" from the rubber gasket in its fully raised position; I'll do some research on an aftermarket replacement if the price is right. Thanks for all the help..................Don:claps:
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,761 Posts
imported post

If you want to reduce buffeting, you need to get one of the wrap around shields. I see them on e-bay all the time for around $125.
A vent in the windshield can reduce buffeting to, by reducing back pressure.



Can you post a pic of your windshield?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
If you want to reduce buffeting, you need to get one of the wrap around shields. I see them on e-bay all the time for around $125.
A vent in the windshield can reduce buffeting to, by reducing back pressure.



Can you post a pic of your windshield?

Looks just like the one on jwhitmore44's bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
253 Posts
imported post

Jwitmore44s avatar appears to have the side wings, so it sounds like you have the stock screen.

A simple rule is the screen should be 2 inches below your eye level at normal riding position. At this height you should not have buffeting problems.

Taller screens present safety issues in lower visibility situations. They also collect alot more bugs at eye level since they no longer fly up and over with the airstream.

I have a couple 1200's, an 84 and an 85. Both have stock height screens. The 84 has a Corbin seat which was built wider and lower for the last owner and the 85 is all stock.

I am 6'2" and have no buffeting issues with the stock set up on the 85. I sit just about 1.5 or 2 inches above the screen. It is a more enjoyable ride as compared to the 84 that has the lower seat and me looking through the screen. At some point I plan on cutting down the 84's screen for my comfort. The Corbin seat is quite comfy so its going nowhere.

If you are 6'1" and having buffeting issues something is going on. If your seat is a couple inches higher than stock that could do it. Or if the screen is way too short that could be it too.

You need to sit on it and determine about how many inches below your eye level the screen is. That should tell all. I'd say once you approach 3 to 4 inches below your eyes your gonna really feel the wind.

You know what would be great is if you could get someone to snap a photo of you on it from the side like a profile and post the pic here. Then we'd be able to see what it is you are dealing with.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
imported post

yes mine is stock and slid up as high as possible in its setting.



I also have cavalcade/roadsoffa seat. I am 6'1" but it's mostly my legs :) I have a 36" inseam. Currently the shield is set right at my eye level when I set up straight. Any lower and it caused buffeting on the top of my helmet that would give me a head ache. If I slump or lean back into the back rest I look though the shield with the wind going over me. If I set up straight I can see over, and just a little stretching gives even more of a clear view. This gives me the best of both worlds for me. I can tuck in behind the shield or look over the top if things get bad and I don't get beat about the head :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
yes mine is stock and slid up as high as possible in its setting.



I also have cavalcade/roadsoffa seat. I am 6'1" but it's mostly my legs :) I have a 36" inseam. Currently the shield is set right at my eye level when I set up straight. Any lower and it caused buffeting on the top of my helmet that would give me a head ache. If I slump or lean back into the back rest I look though the shield with the wind going over me. If I set up straight I can see over, and just a little stretching gives even more of a clear view. This gives me the best of both worlds for me. I can tuck in behind the shield or look over the top if things get bad and I don't get beat about the head :)
I have a 34 inseam so it follows with the same seat as you that my eye level is 2 inches above yours. I don't want to lower my seat any more for leg cramp potential so I'll research a taller windshield or drive slower. Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
imported post

Here is a possible suggestion http://www.madstad.com/ no idea what they are like but heard glowing reports as far as buffeting is concerned. http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=9865

Myself I used a tall Tulsa for many years with a vent and enjoyed it, since I had my Custom Diamond seat, I sit down far lower than stock and prefer to be behind the shield rather than looking over it.
As far as rain is concerned as long as one is moving it doesnt seem to be a problem (to me) just the same as looking through wet goggles or glasses.
If you live in a foggy area tall windshields can be a problem
 

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top