Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Been doing a few jobs on my 84 Aspencade over the last few months, one of the jobs was to change out the LCD module as the original one had a few bars missing here and there (temp display and trip meter the worst ones).
My question for the Guru's out there is..The old module had a faily large capacitor attached on a flying lead this fitted into a recess in the housing. The replacement module did not have this capacitor fitted at all. I got the replacement from a breakers in UK and think it was off a later (1985) bike, in all other respects it is identical to the old module.
Have not tried it on the road yet but on static tests all sections work perfectly so does any one know why the capacitor was there?, was it for noise suppression or was it just a good idea at the time and done away with on later modules or is there something I am missing.

As I said replacement seems to work perfectly but just wondering what it did.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,654 Posts
imported post

Noise suppression to keep the bars from flickering.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for that John, noise suppression was my line of thought, do you know if board was modified to include suppression. Will be a week or two before I am able to take bike for a road test but have tried it with engine running and looks fine so far so will wait and see.
I have kept old module and could possibly open it up more and find where the capacitor was fixed and solder it into new one but dont want to start messing with a complicated unit like this if I don't have to, the way my luck has gone this year I could end up with two non working units.:(:?.
Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.