Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 84 Standard stator has failed and I'm wondering who makes the best replacement stator. Yes, I did consider the alternator conversion but with the standard and no fairing to cover the alternator and I'm concerned the conversion will not look right. I've been studying the info on the engine removal and am about ready to begin but need to order the stator and other necessary stuff before I remove the engine. Thanks

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

Use a Honda OEM stator. (Anything else and you might be doing it again sometime soon.)

Plus, defective stators were a recalled warranty item. You may be able to walk into a Honda dealer, give them your bike's VIN number and get a warranty replacement. It's worth a try.

At least call Honda America Motor Sports Customer Service in Torrance, California (866-784-1870) and ask them. If you give them your VIN, they can look up your bike and see if the stator was already replaced under warranty. If not, maybe you'll get a free one.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

There was no Recall. There was a Service Letter stating the originalpurchasecustomer would be covered under a Limited Warranty coverage. Sorry no Recall. Recall's are safety related only.
These how-to pages and videos might help:

GL1200 Engine Removal

GL1200 Stator Replacement

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

OK folks...

1. OP said he has an '84 Standard, so he doesn't want an external alternator. Nothing to hide it under.

2. Sorry I used the word "recall". It was early Monday morning, still hadn't had my coffee, and I was just trying to help the guy out. So, I'll restate:

GL1200 defective stators were replaced under "warranty".

Winesap7, if you're the original owner of that '84 you may well get a free one. If not, you're on your own.

Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I put an RMSTATOR in mine and have 4 perfect years so far. Others may tell you a different story. $130. I bought my 87 new in early 1988 and when I asked Honda about the stator issue, they told me it could be replaced only if it went bad within a specified mileage so don't know if you will have any luck there. Pulling the motor is not that bad if you have a couple of long days the first time. You learn a lot about the bike this way too.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

Another alternative you might want to investigate is having your original stator re-wound. See if you can find a reliable electrical repair shop or individual that is familar with stators and ask about having it rewound. I have replaced many stators over the years and always used rewounds . This picture is a rewound stator ready to be installed.............

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.