Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am unsure of the replacement of the stator,

1st. you guys know a way to tell if the stator has been replaced? 80K miles.

2nd. Just incase its not, my idea of maybe saving the stator is by makign all the bulbs LED. i understand that a resistor is needed for it to work properly, but that defeats the purpous.

;)So i put led lights for the tail and brake light, this obviously made the DASH LIGHt come on due to it thinking that they are burnt out. But they work fine. So is there a fix for that? or am i just going to have to put a piece of black tape over the IDIOT light.

3rd, the turn signal obviously wont work with out the electronic relay thingy. a link for that would be much appreciated. i have searched for a couple days and unsure of what i need.

My first gold wing. WOO its definitely a new experience, i can see all ready by readign some of the forums that gold wingers are a good group of people. is it bad edicate to see another gold wing and just start cruising with him/ her? just wondering. i notice i get a lot of respect and waves from others.

On a side not i also got a small camper to pull behind cycle, just put a hitch on cycle tonight, so now to tackle the wireing. some advice on that would be much apreciated. i didnt want to have to splice if didnt have to, i thought there was a plug and play type, but lookign pretty expensive. basicly need a 5 wire to a 4 wire thingy dont i?

THanks you guys, i would imagaine that these are redundent questions. i have searched and never really read a solution.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly you will not save the stator by reducing the load. It runs at full load all the time (RPM dependent) anyway. The regulator is what is affected by the load and the less the load the hotter it gets, which can't be good. On the other hand if you replace the reg/rec with this it might save your stator.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...or-rectifiers.html?highlight=mosfet+regulator
ah well thats what i ment to put in there, if its a dumb idea, well that shot that idea down, now to check out the rectifier link you posted.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I am unsure of the replacement of the stator,

1st. you guys know a way to tell if the stator has been replaced? 80K miles.

2nd. Just in case its not, my idea of maybe saving the stator is by making all the bulbs LED. i understand that a resistor is needed for it to work properly, but that defeats the purpose.

;)So i put led lights for the tail and brake light, this obviously made the DASH LIGHT comes on due to it thinking that they are burnt out. But they work fine. So is there a fix for that? or am i just going to have to put a piece of black tape over the IDIOT light.

3rd, the turn signal obviously wont work with out the electronic relay thingy. a link for that would be much appreciated. i have searched for a couple days and unsure of what i need.

My first gold wing. WOO its definitely a new experience, i can see all ready by reading some of the forums that gold wingers are a good group of people. is it bad edicate to see another gold wing and just start cruising with him/ her? just wondering. i notice i get a lot of respect and waves from others.

On a side not i also got a small camper to pull behind cycle, just put a hitch on cycle tonight, so now to tackle the wiring. some advice on that would be much appreciated. i didn't want to have to splice if didn't have to, i thought there was a plug and play type, but looking pretty expensive. basically need a 5 wire to a 4 wire thingy don't i?

Thanksyou guys, i would imagine that these are redundant questions. i have searched and never really read a solution.

Electronic flasher unit
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...motorcyclescooter-electronic-flasher/788/843/

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
You can push/pull out or cut and tape up the taillight out sensor wire that feeds that light, the sensor is behind the solenoid on the right side of the battery, I think it's a white/yellow wire but not sure, I can look tomorrow to be sure of the color if no one else posts it before then. I would add some Seafoam to the oil and ride it 100 easy miles and change the oil and keep the oil changed, I believe that helps prolong the stator as good as anything else. I also would leave the turn signals like they are, how often are they on really ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can push/pull out or cut and tape up the taillight out sensor wire that feeds that light, the sensor is behind the solenoid on the right side of the battery, I think it's a white/yellow wire but not sure, I can look tomorrow to be sure of the color if no one else posts it before then. I would add some Seafoam to the oil and ride it 100 easy miles and change the oil and keep the oil changed, I believe that helps prolong the stator as good as anything else. I also would leave the turn signals like they are, how often are they on really ?
Turn signal makes since, i have been doign a lot of reading, and the oil change, will do. Is the stock wires comging from the stator 3 yellow and a white or somethign like that? becasue mine is all diffent colors. and looks liek the ground wire is differnt, heavyier.
Gunna go ahead and buy this, You find out what color that sensor is? I just worried when hit the brake lights the lights dim. thought that would make the stator work more but, from what i read that is what i want, to use up the juice its producing. ?!
http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns_gl1200_charge.htm

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
There are only three wires leading from the stator .... all three are yellow on every stator I've seen .... usually of about 12 gage .... and they exit the engine rear cover through a rubber grommet at left rear.
I replaced my stator years ago with a Honda Life Warranty stator, it has a blue band around the three wires. I think some had white bands maybe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.