Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning my 1984 gl1200ae wing runs great apart from long distances oil gets very hot so on tick over at juctions the oil light keeps flashing any ideas or solutions would a thicker oil work better
allthe best
chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
morning i have a gl1200ae wich runs great the only problem is on long journeys the oil gets very hot and thin causing the oil light to flicker on on tickover how can i run a cooler oil or should i change oil weight
all the best
chris

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
I merged your two threads, the one in the FAQ forum should not have been there.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
You should be using a 10w40 oil in it.

It's possible the oil pressure sender is out-of-spec (light is supposed to go out at 3-5 psi / 0.20-0.35 bar), pressure spec on a 1500 with hot engine and 10w40 oil at idle is 11 psi / 0.75 bar, the 1200 should be similar. Oil pressure senders in these bikes rarely go bad, but is not unheard of. See if you can get a hold of an oil pressure gauge to connect to the engine, might be able to get loaner gauge from autoparts store. If not, I don't think a replacement sender will cost that much.

A note on Oil Pressure sender threaded pressure fitting - US made vehicles use NPT threads, Honda cars (and Motorcycles) use BSPT threads, the fittings are pretty much the same size but the thread pitch is different (24 pitch vs 25). If you are threading your oil pressure gauge into the engine and notice the threads starting to bind, don't tighten it down, it could bugger up the threads. See if there's a NPT/BSPT thread adapter in the pressure tester kit.

Having said that, an oil pressure sender for a Honda Car should work just fine if you have a hard time finding OEM part.

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
If you are using at least a 30 wt it should be fine. Maybe you need to turn the idle up a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts