Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My present situation is that the starter motor on the bike is starting to let me down, sounds like the battery is really low, sluggish to turn over etc, checked the simple things first , everything checking out ok and have arrived back at my orginal thought, the starter motor and put it down to all the conductive crud which has probably gathered in there or even the brushes needing replaced. Having never changed a starter on one of these bikes I researched the subject to gather some knowledge and informationonhow to go about it.

I read a piece by "Mr Magic Fingers" posted on the forum which is an extremely clear, concise and informative document on his experience on the removal and clean up of the starter motor on his 1982 GL1100 AE, being that the starters on the 1100 and the 1200 looked fairly similar, the only difference in viewing seems to be that the starter on my 1200 has bolts holding the rear "bell housing" section of the motor to the main motor body while the 1100 starter has the front and rear sections held in place by the long through bolts, I felt that this would be a good reference for this particular project, his description on removal and replacement of the starter seemed fairly straight forward but further researchshows that my particular situation may not be so straight forward with all the conflicting advice going about.

He removed the starter with the engine still in the frame, I intended to do the same, he stated that he did the work with the bike on the centre stand although conventional advice advises to do the work with the bike on the side stand he found no problem with the bike on the centre stand, consulting my clymer manual for the 84 GL1200 it states that the engine must come out of the bike , back plate removed, this because the starter cog and chain will swing away from its central position with the possibility of the cog being lost inside the engine. Now I am comparing a 1982 GL1100 against a 1984 GL1200 and know there will be differences but is the difference so much that the engine needs to be removed on my bike to carry out this work, any advise or help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Frank

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Hi Frank. The starter on your 1200 can be removed with engine in place and the job is very similar to on the 1100. If you really need more instructions, have a look at the forum index and you will see some bookmarked threads there.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

My starter was removed without pulling the engine. You have to be careful to not lose the chain. I didn't do the work so I can't be of any more help than that.

P.S. I thinkthis isa job best left to an experienced pro. My guess is if you lose that chain, the engine will have to come apart.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

one exhaust stud has to be removed in order to remove the starter. just don't turn the tires or move the bike, keep it on it's center stand, It's is better to get a rebuilt,
To put it back in takes some tricky movements, but keep tuning it until you find the spot,

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

So far I have gotthe pointof gettingthe starter out of the bike and onto the bench, pretty much as you have described although I had not read your most recent posting before doing so, it was a case of trial and error!

Getting down to eye level with the starter I could see that the gear shift had to come off, footplate on that side. Now getting pretty good access to the part I went for it, "on the centre stand", a risk I know for someone who had not removed one on these bikes before, but to be honest it just looked so damn awkward to work on with the side stand down.

With the two block mounting bolts removed I pulled the starter free, it would go no further, what I did notice at first was that the front of the starter was hitting the block, i.e. the top of one through bolt would not let me move any further forward, the drive shaft was just enough into the opening to stop it rotating to the side and coming free.

I could see that if I could get the left inside exhaust stud off I might be able to swing it far enough out at the front to clear the opening, the exhaust bolt wouldn't come fully off as it was hitting the engine guard, so bottom fairing and the engine guard off. I have a stainless steel motad exhaust fitted so the exhaust clamps are individual, I removed the inside exhaust clamp and the inside stud, moved the starter towards myself a little, turned it slightly over on the head a little and out it came, so your description is spot on.

Stripping the starter down I could see that someone has been in here before, it was full of carbon dust but I think the real culpit is the fact that the negative brush is one with the wire on the side of the brush and not the rear, the spring had pushed the brush as far as it possibly could and know it looks like the wire on the side is preventing it from going any further, there is a good 10mm of wear left on the brush but it just can't make contact with the armature. I am going to give the internal a good clean down as per "Mr Magic Fingers" piece and see if I can trace a new set of brushes, for the record it is just as you said, the internal cog seems pretty sturdy with noinclination to swing away from the opening.

Many thanx to you all

Frank

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if you cant find the honda brushes and wanna have her on the road asap, check my thread, visit your local auto electric parts store and ask for starter brushes for old cars (old vw bug are close to the size), using a file work them to the size of the right size. mine has been working with those for a long time.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Hi there

Brushes for your starter are readily available here in the good old UK. I get most of my parts from Dave Silvers by mail order. heres the link . http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/

He stocks or can get most parts for your 1200 [or any old Honda] and his prices are very competative for Honda parts [not pattern].

Hope your rebuild goes ok.. its quite an easy job for the home mechanic, it can be awkward to get the starter back in but stick with it as it will go!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

make sure you dont twist the pwr post internally when you get to that point....also dont get solder on the brush wire...just the solder point...it must flex the whole length

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi, cheers for the link to Dave Silver in the UK, I had been searching the net and ebay with not much luck, will give them a try.

Many Thanx once again.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanx to all for their help and advise over this issue, starter is now fitted back into bike and up and running, once again my many thanx.

Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.