Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi. this is Roger Gaylord in Nashville. I have tried to determine the answer to this question and have not been able to do so and I am hoping someone can assist.

I laid the bike down to miss a varmit and broke a toe...I probably deserved that, but the part that hurts however is that I also broke the left side Morrow off.It broke the fiberglass fairing completely out where the Morrow bracket attatches to the fairing leaving the fiberglass attached to the Morrow and a hole where the Morrow mounting bracket used to attach. This is the part where the headlight adjustment knob, the left pocket and the headset or cb controls are mounted. The only damage is to the top of this section where the Morrow mounts but there is nothing left to attach the Morrow to.

Is this part of the fairing replaceable as an independent part or is it a part of the main or whole fairing that would require replacing the fairing. I have some parts diagrams but none show this as a separate part that I can see. Any help will be appreciated.

Roger

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Sorry Friends.....My spell check imploded. "Morrow" was originally "Mirror". Had I broke my "Morrow" I would have to post in a different forum I am sure!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Roger Roger! Sorry, had to do it. :goofygrin:

Hey, Welcome to the Finest GoldWing Forum on the World Wide Web. I hope that you find all the answers to your questions and have lots of fun while doing so.

I am sure that it could be fixed. At least I would try fixing it before spending the cash to replace the fairing. I would think that with a little epoxy and some fiberglass, it could be repaired and then sanded down and repainted.

If you choose to replace the fairing, check eBay. I have recently seen several fairings on there. Also, go to the top of the Technical Forum and there is a post there entitled LIST OF BIKE BREAKERS. There are several different salvage yards listed in there that forum members have dealt with in the past.

P.S.The varmint that you sacrificed your bike for wasn't by chance a Rabbit with a pancake on his head was it????:goofygrin::grinner:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Chris,

I will take your advice. I just went out to the shop and took my first good look at what was broken. Basically it broke out the end of the section where the speaker is mounted. About a3x 4 section that has the three holes where the mirror bolts go through the fiberglass. Almost the entire section that is covered by the boot of the mirror bracket. Most of the fiberglass came away with the mirror, but in about five pieces. Like a jigsaw puzzle. 2/3rds are there but I could not locate the rest.

It also looks like this is a part of the top fairing itself and not a replaceable section. If anyone knows different, or for sure, I would appreciate it.

If I can epoxy it and get the pieces to line up so that the bolt holes match, I will try that. I will also check the bike breakers link.

It also somehow twisted or brokethe bolt off of the pivot for the heal-toe shifter. While the pivot is there, it sheared the nut and threads off even with the shift lever so that there is nothing to keep the lever from sliding off the pivot.

Bottom line....Pretty good shape and not too hurt. I rode it all the way to the scene of the crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Roger

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Roger!:waving::waving:

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope the toe heals straight, I broke a couple and ignored them other than taping and now I've got a couple that don't quite want to go the way I'm going!

I've seen fairings come up fairly often on Ebay. One thing you can do is send a note to anyone selling a lot of parts off a 1200 asking about the fairing. I've managed to get a couple odd pieces from people auctioning parts but not listing what I was looking for. If you have all the pieces it might be worth gluing the thing back together. The fairing is made of ABS plastic, the same stuff they make black plastic pipe from. Any hardware or plumbing shop can sell you ABS cement, it's about the best stuff for sticking these plastic chunks together with since it is more like a weld than a glue. The cement is ABS plastic thinned with a solvent so it becomes more a part of the plastic instead of sticking on top. You can actually make reinforcements out of ABS plastic, you can get the stuff at a plastics shop or I've cut some from pieces of ABS pipe. The cement does a great job of reattaching the pins on the back of the side covers.

Hope you get back on the road soon, don't worry about the heel and toe shifter, the peg and toe shifter's what a real Winger uses.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Paul! Good to know! I actually would prefer not to have the heal-toe shifter since I am not comfortable resting my foot on it while driving. (Afraid of accidentally shifting) but it came with the bike. Without it, the toe shifter is too close to the floor board to get my boot under it. Do you know, is that a simple adjustment to get it higher or do you have to actually pull the shaft or something?

Roger

Fair-ing and Unbalanced

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

:DTHe plumbing shop also carries a type of jb weld putty that works well at body filling...it has to be worked rolled together and you have to wor k it onto the faring kinda fast but it molds to the shape pretty good ..i know because i have to finish repairing mine were i dropped it on a semi slow semi faster roll and it kinda ran into a wooden fence...oooouuuucchhh..i got some scrapes out of it and a coupleof bruses to my P R I D E as well as my head but the faring took the worst of it.... but im still gona ride her when i get over the skidish part about getting back on and ridding that is till then she still looks good in my driveway:D:D:D:grinner:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

N7228 wrote:
Thanks Paul! Good to know! I actually would prefer not to have the heal-toe shifter since I am not comfortable resting my foot on it while driving. (Afraid of accidentally shifting) but it came with the bike. Without it, the toe shifter is too close to the floor board to get my boot under it. Do you know, is that a simple adjustment to get it higher or do you have to actually pull the shaft or something?

Roger

Fair-ing and Unbalanced
The normal toe shifter usually won't work with floorboards, just with the pegs. You can move the shifter up and down a bit by taking the bolt out and shifting it up or down a spline or two.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi guys! Just a note to say Thanks!

I found some ABS Cement at Lowes, bought a length of ABS pipe. Icemented together the small pieces I was able to find of the fairing where the mirror attaches. I put it together like a jigsaw puzzle and used the paste to fill in the missing areas, and used the Drimmel to grind off small amounts of plastic from the ABS pipe. Imixed those shavings with the ABS cement and formed a stiff putty-like paste.

I cemented in the largest piece and let it set. I then used a small putty knife to fill in the missing areas with the ABS concoction I had made. allowed all that to cure overnight and used the Drimmel to smooth it out. I am not sure, but it maybe stronger than before.

I owe it all to you! [email protected]!!!!!!!!!

Roger

1984 GL1200

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.