Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hopefully someone here has had to remove the fuel tank from an aspencade 1984 gl1200....is there an easier way to do this than having to remove the back tire as the haynes manual describes for proper removal....i would really rather not have to do that...but i will to get that tank clean.it has been sitting for 3 yrs. and it smell like varnish in there....also some cleaning tips would be greatly appreciated....just started on her and i will definetly need some solid advice to bring her back where she should be.....thanks.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Electrosis Thats the way i did it, worked great, no need to remove the tank. My thread is on here somewhere but i can't find it to give you a link. Maybe some others can help. Here's a before and after pics.

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that looks very interesting, i used carb cleaner to get everything loose after i removed the sending unit then used a vacum to remove everything

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

In your mechanical aptitude is good Electrostatic Rust Removal is in expensive, doesn't involve any chemicals that tree huggers object to and is as effective as anything else. Google it and you'll get lots of hits describing the procedure.

DO NOT KREEM THE TANK. These coatings will cover the intake screen and stop gas flow.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

i used carb cleaner to get everything loose after i removed the sending unit then used a vacum to remove everything
That's exactly what I did. Bought a gallon of that B-12 stuff, filled the empty tank with it, let it sit, took a piece of 1/2" square tubing, duct taped on a flux brush to it, scrubbed the tank with that, took a piece of 1" pipe and duct taped that to my shop vac to pull out all the crumbs... worked great, took about 3 hours, did everything through the sending unit hole.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i actually used spray gummout carb cleaner, :badgrin: not the smartest thing to do but it worked and i didnt get blown up and the shop vac still works fine

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

As long as you are not in a hurry, electrolsis is safe,non-toxic and very cheap, as long as you have a battery charger.Under $5 for the washing soda and a piece of rod for the anode.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i may try this on my 83, its probably not very dirty but just for the heck of it

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Yep Randy it works, just takes time. here is what the anode rod looks like as it collects the rust. Just keep cleaning the buildup off untill it doesn,t collect any more.

Any questions just PM me.

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i guess this is a thread theft in progress, now you have cost me some work, i am going to get started on my 83, my dad has been wanting me to get the poor thing back out and running again, its a gawdy looking 83 someone actually had a boat bow light bolted to the front fender:sick: and lots of lights everywhere else, they are all comming off along with the extra chrome,(which looks really bad after i got upset with the bike and let it sit out in the weather for a year) and it has a single carb kit on it so that will make the carb rebuild easier, replace the battery and the solenoid and she should run again, but the reason i parked it was it ran warm,,,,,, not hot but warm,,,,,,, gotta look at the reason for that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.