Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everybody

I recently purchased a 84 goldwing interstate and had problems with it only running on three cylinders. Thanks to everybody's help and advice I pulled the carbs and resolved that issue. When i pulled the carbs i noticed that the original carbs had been replaced with a set off a california bike. I pluged off the purge lines, hooked up the intake vacuum on #4 to the air cut off and anti backfire and ran a vacuum line from #4 carb to ignition vacuum. The bike runs good but seems to run even better when i run with choke on. I have no problems with the idle as i can adjust it up or down and still runs smoothly. I feel like the air cut off might need to be replaced as gas milage seems to be low although I don't have a specific number yet. It also tends to spit sometimes on deceleration. I have not synced the carbs yet, i just turned the adjustment out 2 turns.
the #4 plug looks great and the other three seem to be a bit rich. In 4th and 5th gear it runs smother about 3500rpm i didn't know if this was due to vacuum advance kicking in.

When i purchaqsed the bike i was fishing at lake erie and had no intention of buying a motorcycle but came home with one and have been entertained by it ever since. I am sure glad that i found such a wonder site with such great advice because if I hadn't got it running I very well could have been in a divorce chat room now.

thanks
steve

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Try synchronizing the carbs first. You can do a search and find a homemade sync tool. Synchronizing the carbs will have less of an affect on higher RPMs. Rechecking float level will would be my next step. If your running rich they probably set a hair high.

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.