Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

msplainnasty wrote:
I just got this 1984 goldwing interstate from my uncle and it will not hold a charge. Ihave bought new battery and all.Is it the alternator if so where is it located? Thanks
Msplainnasty, you have been provided some very good information in the above posts so start with those basic tests.

I will just add to check the 2 large (one red) & (one red/white) wires where they enter the starter relay (just behind the battery).. The large red wire is the charging supply wire to the battery & that wire tends to get oxidised with age &create resistance.. That resistance creates heat & the heat melts the white plastic connector so it runs down into the connection creating an open or partial open.

Look very closely at that connection & if the plastic looks melted or the connection won't come apart without prying the plastic apart you have a problem in that area.

A good & proper repair for those red wires to relay connection is to: cut BOTH red & red/white wires back to clean wire,, then solder them together,, at the same time also solder one pig tail of a 30 amp SEALED spade type automotive fuse holder to those 2 red wires, then solder a ring terminal to the other pig tail of that 30 amp fuse holder & fasten under the (+) battery post screw.. That will eliminate any future problems with those red wires to the relay connection & completely eliminate that pesky main fuse on the starter relay..

On a bike as old as an 84 this update could have already been done so don't be surprised if there is already an added fuse there.. If so disregard the above..

Twisty

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.