Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am trying to fix this bike for a friend. It had a small fire on the right side of the tank melting some hoses. Replaced all hoses that were melted and the bike stalls on cracking the throttle up. Removed air box and top cover to get to top of carbs. This all looks ok, at least on top. Any ideas besides ripping out the carbs. Jet

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a vaccum leak, or a stuck timing advance.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I'd go along with that. Can you hear slight hissing when idling? One of teh vacuum hoses or plastic junctions is most likely melted.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

no hissing and all hoses have been changed and visual check of connecters seem ok. I don't know if any vacumn hoses under carbs. thanks for ides to both of you

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If the vac hoses are all okay then something has melted in the carbs on the fire side. Diaphrams would be suspect (pull off carb tops to see) as they are the weakest link.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

yeah. diaphragms..and fuel pump.The pump may have rubber check valves (the GL1200 pump does) and one might have melted and killed the fuel pressure. "small fire?" thats scary! Fire x gas tank = BOOM!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Never seen fire on goldwing either. Maybe a leaking harley tank but not a goldwing. Maybe it was a disgrunted wife! ha thanks to all for ideas. Will post back if successful. Thanks again. Jet:gunhead:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.