Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
It would requite a complete re-engineering of the engine. The cylinders would have to be redesigned and the old cylinders cut off. Then you would have to figure out a way to mount the new, air cooled cylinders. The heads would have to be re-designed as air cooled.

Put a VW bug engine in it if you must have air cooling. But then you would have to decide on what to use for a transmission. That would mean fabricating an adapter from the engine to the transmission. The clutch would now be a dry clutch instead of the wet clutch in the 1200

There were a few BMW twins of the 50s and 60s era that had VW engines installed in them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-VW..._motorcycles&hash=item2a2449ae86#ht_500wt_879
There is this one for sale on eBay. Interesting build. That one uses the original BMW transmission with an adapter to the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks i was only wandering this is my frist bike an i bought of guy he said the water pump was out of it he thought but wasnt sure so im just trying to fine things out

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
fireball, welcome, this is the place for help for all your help questions and some kidding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he said it over heated on him awhile back when driving it he pull over an let it cool down than keep drving to get home.than he just parked it he didnt reallly check it to know for sure

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
It could be the gauge or sensor sending faulty information, could be the (fan switch more likely) it could be low coolant level.

Check the level of the coolant, run the engine, watch the gauge if the fan doesnt switch on when it gets to 208-216F I think about midway on the gauge it could be the fan switch.

From Manual

"Pull the connectors from the fan switch (behind the rad) If the fan motor does not start, inspect the coolant level, before switch inspection. Fill the cooling system with the recommended coolant, and recheck fan motor operation if the coolant level was low.
Remove the lower fairing and disconnect the wires from the thermostatic switch. Short the terminals together with a jumper wire as shown. The cooling fan motor should start running.
If it does not start, check for a blown or faulty fuse, loose terminals or connectors, or an open circuit. If it starts, inspect the fan thermostatic switch

If the bike has not been maintained properly and the coolant changed regularly the rad might be clogged

Dont jump to the conclusion that the problem could be the pump.... at least not yet.

Could be head gasket......

you will need to go through the process of elimination

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do u have to run the fuel pump on the 84 hond goldwing or can u put a different tank on the frame up by handle bars an just gravedy feed

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Two easy checks are to look in the expansion tank to see if there's any sign of oil in the coolant. Check the oil to see if it looks more like milk chocolate than oil or if there's anything that looks like thin chocolate fudge on the dipstick. If you see either of these it's very likely the main seal in the pump has failed.
As Tricky said if there's oil or coolant showing at the weep hole just under the pump on the bottom of the engine that's a good sign the pump seal is failing.
If you take off the spigot (the piece that the lower hose attaches to the engine) after draining the coolant the pump impeller will be exposed. Try to turn the impeller by hand or rock it back and forth and side to side. If there's any play in the impeller the pump has gone south.
If the problem is overheating it's not usually the pump that causes that. Check out the bike as above and let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I think you should be able to see the impellar of the pump. if you take off the lower end of the water pipe, connected to the radiator. its situated on the front cover. dont run the bike until you are certain, that its cooling system is running, or it will overheat very quickly, and cause lots of damage.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Unless the pump has been changed, the 84 model has a plastic/composite impeller later pumps have steel impeller.

As far as you asking about the fuel issue, if the fuel pump isnt working I suggest you get that issue fixed first. It wont overheat if it wont start :)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
do u have to run the fuel pump on the 84 hond goldwing or can u put a different tank on the frame up by handle bars an just gravedy feed
Fireball, that is not a fuel tank up by the bars. It is a cover of a bunch of electrical connections, fuses, etc. The fuel tank is under the seat and behind the engine which is why you need a fuel pump on these bikes. The fuel level is lower than the carbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
do 1984 honda goldwings have clutch cables or are they all hydraucl? my clutch when u pull it in its like nothing engages at all im trying figure everything out if i can get some help be great

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.