Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone help me? There is a 1984 Interstate Goldwing that when you are going down the road it will die. Just as if you turned the key off. But then it will not restart. Also, it does even try to turn the engine over. There is no pattern to this problem. It can happen back to back in one day. But then not happen for a couple weeks.

The key switch was changed out last year. Losing the gas cap did not help. Coils are not cracked. If you have it running in the garage and wiggle the wires, it does die. Put a salvage CDI on it last year. Couldn't find a new one.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Do you know if it could be the CDI? If so, how do you test it? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Penny Hynson

goldwinghelp

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

If as you say wiggling the wires makes it die there is a bad connection somewhere near where you are wiggling.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

what are you wiggling. Doest it lose complete power. The switch taht you say you have changed goes bad from constant turning and the wear out.

Did you change it for a new or used. Sometiimes the used is as bad sometimes worse than the original being swapped. I just swapped mine for a used one that I also refurbished.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Mine was doing just that. I had a faulty kill switch.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Wiggling the wires does nothing. The engine doesn't die. As for the key switch, it was changed out with a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

Goldwinghelp wrote:
The key switch was changed out last year. Losing the gas cap did not help. Coils are not cracked. If you have it running in the garage and wiggle the wires, it does die. Put a salvage CDI on it last year. Couldn't find a new one.
Which wires are you wiggling? I had a similar problem once while out on a ride. I discovered one of the red or red/white wire at the starter solenoid was lose.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

Keystone742 wrote:
Goldwinghelp wrote:
Which wires are you wiggling? I had a similar problem once while out on a ride. I discovered one of the red or red/white wire at the starter solenoid was lose.
i had the exact same problem with my solenoid wires,the plug was fried, so i cut it off and put spades on the wires, been right ever since

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

CORRECTION: When wiggling the wired it doesn't die. I forgot to type the n't on does. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Wiggled the wires near the seat,CDIand dash. What was yours doing to make you think you had a problem?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

hay penny
glad to see you on the forum . (again ) i like the fuse idea and the solenoid pluge idea . thats 2 things i hadnt gotten to ( some timers i guess )that will cause your problem . the fuse can look good . but be bad . if it hasnt been use , there is a spare one in the flip up lid on the solenoid cover. there also is a post in the FAQ section . just type in fuse holder in the search box to the right of the main page . it`ll show you how its done .
in any event---hang in there . i`m sure it`ll get cured . wayne

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

When mine had that problem it was the connector to the tip over switch.{or whatever it's called} Located under passenger seat on 1500. Don't know if 84 had one or not.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Penny there are at least 9 members in Wichita Kansas area one of them might be able to ride over take a look and see if they can help you..There are 136 members state wide....Just a thought.....

Claude....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.