Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1984 interstate, my brother helped me remove the engine.when he did, he pulled off the right pully wheel and belts, the engine has been turned. how do I set them right? on one try the piston hit the valves.now what?:praying:

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
That's not good. I'd remove the valve covers and the cams so all valves are closed, then you could safely turn the crankshaft to TDC #1 and start from scratch.

Hopefully no valves have been bent already. There's enough leverage to do this turning the engine over by hand if you're not really careful. It may not be a bad idea to do a 'leak down' on each cylinder when the cams are out to make sure.

I suppose you could 'noodle' things around by turning the cams and engine in just the right way (without removing the cams)...but that's kinda risky and would involve way too much thinking IMO. Plus it's ridiculously easy to remove the cams.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
If you turn the crankshaft either way 45 to 90 degrees off TDC then you can turn the cam to the TDC position then turn the crank back to TDC and install the belts. Then you can check the compression and see if it has any bent valves.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Oh... and keep your brother away from the bike! LOL

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Ok, then don't let him work on it after he has been in the beer. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.