Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay people I'm sure you're probably getting tired of hearing from me LOL I have some little issues with my GL 1285 aspencade. when it is in neutral and I rev the engine up the RPMs drop but when I'm cruising down the highway or Road in 4th gear and I want to shift down to 3rd gear pull in on the clutch the RPMs will drop about 200 and stay there then I drop it down a gear and it starts dropping RPMs normally. I have no clue Help plz.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I need to proofread my post before I post them. It drops about 200 RPMs from where I'm cruising at and doesn't go down anymore until I downshift and then it will start dropping the RPMs like it normally would. When I'm in neutral in the bike is on the side stand or Center stand I can wrap it up and the RPMs will drop down like normal

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
As Dennis said first be sure the linkage is not the issue.
If you have eliminated the linkage as a possibility the next thing you need to investigate is lean fuel mixtures. Lean mixtures can make an engine hunt up and down or if bad enough the RPM will hang. Any chance you have an issue with fuel delivery? Might be there is enough fuel to "keep up" at idle but gors lean when you are going down the road and using more fuel. Another possibility is a vacuum leak but I can't answer how it might be OK at idle then have the issue on the road. That is why my first guess might be fuel delivery. Only because it makes sense to me. Of course that doesn't mean much. :)

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
What is the RPMs you are cruising at? I suspect it is the 4th&5th gear timing advance that is holding the RPMs up. Try putting it on the center stand, start the engine, pull in the clutch and shift it up to 4th and see if the engine speed increases.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes throttle is snapping back ok. It is weird when on the side kickstand and in (N) I can Rev it up and does fine. I will check the cables out make sure the are not pinched or in a bind any where. But I would not think they are because does fine when in (N). Where do you buy that tool they use to lube the cables ? And do you have to disconnect the cables under the false tank or just at the throttle grip to lube them?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of that too. Not releasing all the way. And maybe when I shift down it jars it just enough and let's it full disengage . What would cause the clutch not to totally disengage ?

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
I was thinking of that too. Not releasing all the way. And maybe when I shift down it jars it just enough and let's it full disengage . What would cause the clutch not to totally disengage ?
Does the bike ever want to go at a stop sign even though you have the clutch held in?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine hung in gear when the oil didn't get changed by the Stealer, about 6000 miles on the oil. Did the oil change and it went back to normal.

I'd have to try that to see what mine does, don't normally watch that when downshifting.....

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it never wants to go when I am at a,stop light . Not at all. Even if I rev it up it dies not move. Now when she is cold or stay over nite I have to keep the front brake on because it wants to jump when it starts. Sometimes pulls just a smig on the dirt crank with the starter but only on the 1st start up of the day then after that if I start it in 1st great pull in on the clutch very little movement forward right at start up when it fires up. But not enought that I née the break lie a cold start up.

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
How long is it going to take to forget about the clutch and take some good advise?

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
Have you adjusted the free play in your throttle? It should have at least 1/8” but not more than 3/16” free play with the handlebars straight ahead. Rotate the bars from lock to lock checking that there is some free play at all positions.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts