Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
OK going to try post 38 today. But I am not sure where the icu vacuum line is at. And what does icu stand for?
Terminology can be so confusing. It's the same as the computer, ECM, PCM Ignition control Module, brain etc. etc.:wink2: You have to take off the fake tank.

Maybe Dave has composed himself and will come back with some other suggestions.:popcorn::popcorn:

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,506 Posts
Maybe Dave has composed himself and will come back with some other suggestions.:
Post #32 proved what is wrong, I suggest going with that. Post #21 has the fix.

·
Administrator
21,895 Posts
That hose could have easily come unplugged from the carburetor without it being noticed. One little tug could do it. Or it could simply develop a leak somewhere, especially if it's the original hose.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Did the check at 3000 rpm it is working like it should . Redid the one test with clutch pulled in and went to 4th gear these time it did not raise the rpm they stayed at ideal rpm. I don't know . Checked the vacuum line and it is plugged in at the carb and at the icu. And line does not look new but it is stiff or dryed out .

·
Administrator
24,506 Posts
That hose could have easily come unplugged from the carburetor without it being noticed. One little tug could do it. Or it could simply develop a leak somewhere, especially if it's the original hose.
But is is NOT a vacuum leak, it is getting vacuum to the ICU when it should not be.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
But is is NOT a vacuum leak, it is getting vacuum to the ICU when it should not be.
Or the vacuum is trapped in the ICU and line. It could be the line is collapsed internally and acting like a check valve. I've seen it happen and I know you have too, Dave. Common on brake lines right where they crimp a bracket on. I would change the line and run it. Fingers crossed. :)

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I will do that change the vac line. I will see if my local hardware store has that size . Thanks for everyone's help on these.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Update. I still took the wing on the small trip we had planed about 170 miles one way ran 2 cans of sea foam on it and got another can for the trip back home. Bike did good after we got down there the RPMS were dropping like they should and I got 40 mile's Per Gallon both way there and bsck

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well after I got home from my trip l put on my new hand grips and now my throttle really closes fast. I can hear it snap down when testing it. With engine off. There was a lot if glue on the throttle body tube and on the end of it too. May of been the problem the whole time with my rpms. Just glad it works right the way it should again. And thanks to all of your help out there . Sincerely Roger H.

·
Administrator
24,506 Posts
Well after I got home from my trip l put on my new hand grips and now my throttle really closes fast. I can hear it snap down when testing it. With engine off. There was a lot if glue on the throttle body tube and on the end of it too. May of been the problem the whole time with my rpms. Just glad it works right the way it should again. And thanks to all of your help out there . Sincerely Roger H.
After 51 posts you finally got around to answering #3. :doh2:

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I thought I answered #3 post sorry about that. But I did check it when #3 was posted and it did return like it always did fast but never knew it was suppose to make a snap. So my bad. Lol and sorry about that but when I did replace the hand grips and got all the glue off the throttle body it does make a very noticeable snap now. And the RPMs do drop done like they should .

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
Just a hint:

I thought I answered #3 post sorry about that. But I did check it when #3 was posted and it did return like it always did fast but never knew it was suppose to make a snap. So my bad. Lol and sorry about that but when I did replace the hand grips and got all the glue off the throttle body it does make a very noticeable snap now. And the RPMs do drop done like they should .
I can't tell you how many times I've seen the glue hang up between the throttle pipe and the handlebars. When someone would come into my shop I could immediately tell there was a problem. It's common but you said your throttle snapped back ok. I assume you knew how it was supposed to work... my mistake. This is a good 'take note' for most anyone that has bought a bike with non-stock grips or has changed the grips and they don't return like before or the throttle doesn't act properly.

Anyway.... it's fixed. And here's another thing I wanted to touch base on. If you have a GL1500 and look on the bottom side of the intake manifolds you will notice there are 2 'freeze plugs' on each manifold. These are permanent and non-replaceable. But they can cause a vacuum leak. Ask me how I know??

I noticed a vacuum problem on my 1500 and using propane I traced the leak to one of these freeze plugs. Not knowing, I removed both intake manifolds to repair them. I figured if one is leaking now..... another or all of them could leak somewhere in the future. Now.... if you've wrenched on a 1500 you know what you're up against if you want to remove the intake manifolds. GRRRRRR!!
Now I realize that they can be fixed without the complete removal. Since there's no replacement available I gooped them up with epoxy, let them set overnight and no more intake leak. Now for the 'update'

UPDATE: a buddy that also has a 1500 had the same problem. Rather than stick him for a bundle on labor I tried a trick. Mixed up the epoxy and gooped it on around the edges and put a piece of black Gorilla duct tape over it. Let it set overnight and then removed the tape..... the leak was gone.
Just a hint.

·
Administrator
24,506 Posts
Curious how that had anything to do with 4th & 5th gear. Doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Curious how that had anything to do with 4th & 5th gear. Doesn't make sense.
I wonder if it was not as noticeable in the lower gears because you really don't coast much in those gears with throttle applied. You seldom cruise or just roll out of the throttle in power gears. It is more like bang, bang, first to second etc. Wouldn't even know if the throttle hung just a bit???? . You might not be aware.Plus it is a sudden twist so it might not stick as much as when you roll gently out of the throttle in higher gears. I think you know what I mean. :)

41 - 56 of 56 Posts