Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking at rebuild kits. One thing that has my curiousity is that I am seeing kits that specify "2 brush version". I have a MIT sm-2 starter, is this a 2 brush starter, does a 85 goldwing have another starter that has more than 2 brushes? I searched this before I ask but I am not really coming up with anything for certain.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Never heard of any 1200's with more than 2 brushes in the starter, but that's just me.

Now, I have worked on a lot of larger DC motors that have had two brushes sandwiched together in one brush-holder, but they also used 8 - 12 brush-holders to handle the higher current... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

This whole starter thing has me curious. Some listings are so vague and others leave you wondering what you are getting into. I think I will just order the rebuild kit but I just didnt want to have to take mine apart and then wait for kit, I didnt want the possibliity of the gear moving into the engine by accident or chance etc.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The parts lists show the 84 as having four brush's and later models as only having two. The part numbers though are the same, you just order twice as many for an 84.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.