Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Even'in Folks,
I'm wondering what would cause the front end to "whip" on my GL1200 1985 as I let go of the handle grips at over 20km an hour. Seems air in front forks is ok, no leaks in the seals, tires are brand new.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Was happening before, put the new tires on to see if it would help.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Common. Often referred to as a "tank slapper". Worst one I had was at low speed, changing lanes, braking and adjusting mirror at the same time. Keep both hands on the grips. After a few harrowing experiences I adjusted my riding habits and never taken the water buffalo by the horns again. Others will be along with cautionary mechanical advice. Make no assumptions. Surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

escogold wrote:
Common. Often referred to as a "tank slapper". Worst one I had was at low speed, changing lanes, braking and adjusting mirror at the same time. Keep both hands on the grips. After a few harrowing experiences I adjusted my riding habits and never taken the water buffalo by the horns again. Others will be along with cautionary mechanical advice. Make no assumptions. Surprised it hasn't happened sooner.
I think it's a little bigger problem than that.
Also, when I hit a crack in the pavement the bike almost loses control.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Sounds more like a mechanical problem then especially since it seems to have coincided with brand new tires. Perhaps something is out of alignment. Folks describe "headshake" here and relate it to bearing wear or adjustment. Help will be along.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,580 Posts
imported post

How much air are you putting in the tires?

What brand and model of tires?

Did you check the wheel bearings when you had the tires off?

Did you align the forks?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Check your steering head bearings for play.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
imported post

My experience with 3 separate Goldwings with the "death shake" has always been head bearings that are not tightened properly. Put your bike on the center stand, sit on the bike and lean back on seat so your front tire is off the ground. Bump your handle bars, and if they keep moving after you give them a little push, the bearings are way too loose. Most repair manuals give specs on how much force it should take to move the handle bars. It is a pain to get down to the triple tree to replace the bearings or tighten the nuts, but it will solve the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.