Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm considering purchasing a 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (Gold/Brown). If this model is the one with fuel injection, are there any concerns with this purchase that I should be aware of?

I've heard a few bad things about the CFI system. Are they incidental or widespread?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Just bought one, yes it does have the fuel injection. I don't know a whole lot about it yet.......but I'm lovin' it so far:action:

Welcome to the forum!!!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

bobsolorider wrote:
I'm considering purchasing a 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (Gold/Brown). If this model is the one with fuel injection, are there any concerns with this purchase that I should be aware of?

I've heard a few bad things about the CFI system. Are they incidental or widespread?
Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum! the 1200 is a solid powerful bike. the biggest downfall on a 1200 is a failing stator. (the charging system).

Ask the owner if it has been repaired or replaced. To pull a stator, you must pull the engine. You can also buy a "Poor boy" kit which is an external alternator driven off the front of the engine. It looks pretty cool & supplies way more power than a regular Wing charging system.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

I ride an 86 SEi, the same bike basically as the 85 your looking at. Runs like a watch, never gives me any problems. I do run seafoam through the gas tank a few time a season and haven't had any problems with the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

there supposed to be very fast but when you have a problem you should be schooled in fuel injection systems to get the bug

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Welcome to a great forum bobsolorider. I'm a solo rider too. You have to think about how long your going to keep the bike. I'ver heard and been told by bike mechanics that the LTD is getting very hard to find parts for. Now I don't know if he meant just here in Canada or all of North America. And as hatchetman said about the stater problem, I would put in all LED lights in. That is what I did and got rid of my problem. If you do buy LEDs, make sure there made in the USA and not in China. Good Luck on your decision. :waving: :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Welcome to the forum! the 1200 is a solid powerful bike. the biggest downfall on a 1200 is a failing stator. (the charging system).

Ask the owner if it has been repaired or replaced. To pull a stator, you must pull the engine. You can also buy a "Poor boy" kit which is an external alternator driven off the front of the engine. It looks pretty cool & supplies way more power than a regular Wing charging system.
The above is reality - the stator replacement is verrrry costly! I personally would not buy it if the stator has NOT been replaced.

If the bike starts fast and runs good - try the seafoam treatment in the tank. It won't hurt.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Owner says he had the stator replaced a while back; part not so bad, labor to pull the engine was the catch.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ok, what's the gag? What is seafoam? My wife's a decorator and says it's a nice color for green carpet.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

:D Got to love it. Seafoam is a fuel system cleaner. Very good reputation.

I had the opportunity to drive a LTD and it was very smooth and powerful. My GL1200 A
is no slouch but the LTD was significantly better.

I understand that parts and pos. repairs could be a problem, but this forum can be be great asset with its great members and knowledge.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

I had to replace my stator and will not do it again. Converted to the external alternator and am loving it. You can do it yourself if I can. Alot of help here on the forum. Do not pass up the bike because of the stator issue. I think you will love the bike IMHO. Randy

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
imported post

I love my LTD!!! Take advantage of the guru's on this forum, they are fantastic and have saved me time and $$$ on a few problems I was having. Running like a champ and loving it!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

My GL12 doesn't have EFI but I have two other bikes with and love it.
Does the PO have the paperwork from the stator change? Are the stator wire connectors changed out or by pasted?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
imported post

I love my LTD!!! Take advantage of the guru's on this forum, they are fantastic and have saved me time and $$$ on a few problems I was having. Running like a champ and loving it!

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Hey Everyone -

My name is Jason Myers - just bought a suffering 85 LTD, with 180 000kms on it. Mechanically ok- and even though I have not ridden it yet - love it (kinda whacked I know) This is my first Goldwing, always wanted one. Been adventure biking and sport touring most of my life. Finally - a "real" seat!!

Look forward to learning - and hopefully contributing to the forums as I prep the wing for combat air patrols. I have a regulator to install (Stator good) - air leveling, cb radio, trip computer and audio are non existent work wise - but will troubleshoot one by one.

Im going to ask about abs plastic repair - im planning on using fiberglass resin, plastic patch and a few rivets as its the bottom of the left saddlebags. Appreciate any thoughts.

First post!! Sorry if there is already a post on the plastics repair - still learning :)

Jason

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Jason,
Congradts on the purchase.
This is an old post so watch the dates. Best to start a new topic of your own rather than tagging on an old on, you are OK so far. Lots of good info in the old posts to glean, for sure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.