Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I replaced the 4 turn signal lights with LED's. THe turn signal relay wasn't allowing stuff to happen. I have a two prong electronic relay that I wanted to solder in. I couldn't figure out the 3 wires to the relay. I tested with my multitester and got ~12v on one circuit, and ~5v on another. I think the grey is the neg on this circuit, so the grey to either two on the outside netted those results.

Since the LED's weren't working, I put the two incandescents back in the front, and when turning on either left or right, the left or right marker circuit would turn off, and the blinker circuit would not turn on. I replaced the rear turn signals with incandescents also, and still the same symptom.

I have disassembled the turn signal switch and cleaned. The slider does not return to center when I press in the turn signal switch. I can manually center it, and the marker circuit will turn on. I'm missing some connection somewhere that I can't find. I'm very frustrated having done many searches on this subject and not finding my solution.

I have looked for the brown 9p harness and can't find it. Someone has been in there and moved it apparently. I have removed the panel below the steering stem to see the thing under there, and it is secure. I cannot find the auto cancelling unit to test or replace with the other bike I have sitting directly behind it. Trying to take off the switch and replace it with the other bike is going to cause me more frustration than I can deal with right now.

What easy stuff have I missed, and where the F is my brown 9p connector?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Do your lights work when you turn the hazard switch on? The relay power is tapped off of the #5 fuse (white/green wire) and you can check this fuse simply by seeing if the brake lights come on.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Grey is the wire to the switch, green/white is the power, green is ground (you do not need the green for the 2 pin flasher to work) but the turn signal cancel will not work with a 2 pin flasher relay. I have misplaced my 1200 electrical CD so I can't help much further. The brown connector you are looking for should be somewhere the steering stem on a bracket, or is it on the bracket on the right inside of the fairing?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

klwatts wrote:
Do your lights work when you turn the hazard switch on? The relay power is tapped off of the #5 fuse (white/green wire) and you can check this fuse simply by seeing if the brake lights come on.
Hazard works yes. and i've swapped relays, they both work on the hazard circuit.

I've checked visually, all fuses in the fuse block on the air box. I've read that there is a secondary fuse somewhere. I'll check with the tester and verify wire colors. THanks.

and the rear running/brake lights work, both pedal and lever.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Grey is the wire to the switch, green/white is the power, green is ground (you do not need the green for the 2 pin flasher to work) but the turn signal cancel will not work with a 2 pin flasher relay. I have misplaced my 1200 electrical CD so I can't help much further. The brown connector you are looking for should be somewhere the steering stem on a bracket, or is it on the bracket on the right inside of the fairing?
Don't need the green, thanks. I don't want the auto cancel anyway. I'm a big boy. I've gotten into the habit of shutting them off on the XR, so that's good for me.

I have the manual, but diagrams for the 84. I've been going off that, but the system is confusing to me.

What am I missing that the slider in the hand switch doesn't return like it's supposed to. Is it a mechanical return or electronic?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I have W/G, Gr and EDIT, Bl/Bk to the turn signal relay. 

Changed fuse.

Nothing Still.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

The switch should return to center by spring action. It is a momentary switch that gets the signals started so to speak and the cancel unit continues the operation until it is canceled. Canceling is accomplished by removing the ground from the flasher relay. Pushing in on the switch is a separate contact that cuts off the relay manually. The marker lights are also part of the switch and only 1 side is making contact unless you manually center the switch, the opposite side is in the off position and the light is turned back on by a relay when the signals are canceled. The system will probably never work properly, even the manual cancel function, with the 2 pin relay and the ground wire disconnected. There is I believe a replacement flasher for LEDs that will allow the system to function as intended.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I think I could've done something when i was testing the relay connection, checking for V.

what about the 5v across the two wires. I'll go back and check which ones tomorow, bit can that explain my problems?

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

beechum1 wrote:
I have W/G, Gr and EDIT, Bl/Bk to the turn signal relay.

Changed fuse.

Nothing Still.
OK, my mistake on the wire colors, as I said I have lost my ETM. The Bl/Bk wire I think is from the cancel unit. It is the wire that grounds the flasher to make it operate.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

If I could just find the auto cancel unit, or it's brown 9p connection, I could swap it out for the Interstate unit and see if I burned it up... AHHHH. Hate electrical gremlins.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
I do believe it is at the right side of the battery above the solenoid
No that is the tail light sensor. The cancel control unit is under the ignition coils if I remember correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.