Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not owned a wing before and bought this one not too long ago. It has 48,000 miles on it and I am guessing it has the original clutch( maybe not).
My question is does anyone else have a 1985 model and how far do you release the clutch lever before it bites. I have to release it about 3/4's before it bites. Is this normal or are new clutch plates in my future?

Thanks

Tom

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,531 Posts
I think yer OK as long as your clutch isn't slipping when you roll the throttle a bit hard.... I've never heard of a clutch pack needing replacement on a GL1200 so, again... I think yer good to go...

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
My question is does anyone else have a 1985 model and how far do you release the clutch lever before it bites. I have to release it about 3/4's before it bites. Is this normal or are new clutch plates in my future?

Thanks

Tom
Engaging when the lever is almost all the way out is normal.
It's when the engagement is with the lever just off the grip that you have a problem and even that has nothing to do with the clutch pack but with air in the lines or the pusher bushing in the lever.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
The clutch engagement point being so far from the grip is something I have seen discussed a couple of times. Even asking the question myself on another forum.

Is there any reasonable cost alternative to move that clutch engagement point closer to the grip for those of us with Fat Stubby fingers or the inevitable Arthr-I-tis visiter?

I had looked at adjustable clutch levers like on the newer wings but those come in just south of $100.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
It is a characteristic of clutches to change pedal/lever height as the friction disc(s) wear. The discs become thinner, causing the lever to be pushed back further resulting in a higher and higher release point.
Our clutches are NOT adjustable, so this condition is not abnormal. Until the lever reaches full travel, and still will not engage properly, the clutch is reliable.
As roscoepc points out, the clutches last for a very long time, and I believe you should get another 46,000 out of this one.
Our clutches are NOT adjustable, so guys with short fingers or arthur, need to improvise. I bought a 1200 a few years ago that I had thought was laid down on the left side because the lever was all bent up. After inspecting it closely, I realized the previous owner had deliberately bent it that way to ease operation of the clutch.
You might want to experiment bending a couple "old" levers, BigBro.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm , I might play around with a spare lever I have. I am just not used to such a long clutch release.

Assuming a clutch pack was new what would the release point be from the bar? For example would it be one quarter of full lever release?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.