Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a picture of a 3 wire harness on this bike. The connectors are as I found them. 3 yellow wires. It looks like the other half (also 3 yellow wires) goes to the alternator (???). The original plug is missing so it seems to be a "home modification". I could just plug the yellow wires back together but I don't want to do that before confirming that is doesn't matter which wire plugs into the other wire.

So, does it matter which wire goes where or because they are all yellow, it doesn't matter.
Thought I would ask to make sure.

Thank you
Bill

·
Administrator
22,181 Posts
It's best to solder those wires. The original plugs usually failed and most attempts with aftermarket connectors also failed. If they create too much resistance the connectors can, and often do, burn up the stator. That's an engine-out job and there don't seem to be any quality replacements left.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The order of the wires doesn't matter. Just a good connection is important. If they touch each other it will burn up the stator when running.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
The wiring order doesn't matter, just connect each wire back up to the other cable, in any order. (Solder and then sleeving the joints to insulate is vital). N.B. As a precaution, please disconnect the battery first.

The bottom harness heads off to the alternator, the top heads up to the regulator block. I would do this job as soon as you can. Take care, as a faulty alternator is a complete pain in the **** and involves engine removal!!

If you've got a multimeter to finally test, I can give you measurements to expect if that helps?

·
Administrator
25,329 Posts
N.B. As a precaution, please disconnect the battery first.
You must have read that from a Honda manual, they recommend disconnecting the battery to change a light bulb. No chance of shorting anything out by working on those wires with the battery connected.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Worthwhile doing voltage test on the stator before soldering the wires if stator condition is not known.... Call the three wires coming from the engine "A", "B" and "C". Take three readings, measuring AC voltage between A-B, A-C, B-C with engine at 3000 RPM. You should find 50-70 Volts AC on all three readings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts