Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 GL1200 LTD trike
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All and thank you for letting me join,
I have a GL1200 trike that had been stood for 2 years, had her about 2 months, last week i fitted a new starter motor, new battery, new fuel pump and fuel filter, drained most of the old fuel off and half filled the tank with nice clean "expensive these days" fuel.
She fired up first time and ran like a dream for about 4 hours then cut out, would just turn over and me being me flattened the battery, charged her back up and then only got a click from the starter relay so swapped that out but no change,
Replaced the dog bone fuse with an inline one still nothing (some sites say there are 2 but could only find 1 next to the battery).
Now i get clicking from the starter relay and relay 5 fuel pump relay in the main fuse box (very fast), i also get all lights flashing at the ECU under the trunk?, my thoughts are either the ECU has burnt out or an earth somewhere? oh and when i put her into run the fuel pump just keeps going and going does not cut off, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
85 GL1200 LTD trike
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a GL1200 trike that had been stood for 2 years, had her about 2 months, last week i fitted a new starter motor, new battery, new fuel pump and fuel filter, drained most of the old fuel off and half filled the tank with nice clean "expensive these days" fuel.
She fired up first time and ran like a dream for about 4 hours then cut out, would just turn over and me being me flattened the battery, charged her back up and then only got a click from the starter relay so swapped that out but no change,
Replaced the dog bone fuse with an inline one still nothing (some sites say there are 2 but could only find 1 next to the battery).
Now i get clicking from the starter relay and relay 5 fuel pump relay in the main fuse box (very fast), i also get all lights flashing at the ECU under the trunk?, my thoughts are either the ECU has burnt out or an earth somewhere? oh and when i put her into run the fuel pump just keeps going and going does not cut off, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
Plus 1 more thing, i can hear fuel gushing in the tank, TY Steve

·
Registered
881 Posts
Looks like you have 4 wheels. Nice fitment.

You have an '85 Limited Edition FI model. Very reliable and great on the road. I've been refurbishing mine for the past 6 1/2 years - retirement project.

Firts and foremost, you need the OEM service manual, Electrical Troubleshooting manual, and the Supplement - cannot "wing" it - no pun intended, with this bike.

You have changed a lot of parts. What was your rationale for this? The OEM fuel pump is quite robust.

Starter motor can be rebuilt with new brushes, and a good cleaning keeps it going for many more years.

There are two dog bone fuses. You have found one that goes up the left side of the battery (looking at it). This provides power to the CFI main relay - relay #4, and a few other items.

The other dog bone fuse is attached to the starter relay.

What happens when the key is turned on. There is a start up sequence that occurs. The fuel pump operates for 2 to 4 seconds to prime the fuel system, then stops. Starts automatically as soon as the engine starts.

You changed the fuel

The dash sequence, specifically the right hand side, goes through alight sequence. The cruise indicator lights come on and go off. The FUEL SYSTEM indicator light on then off - it's the bike check CFI system, is not to indicate anything about the fuel system. If this dash light stays on, there is an issue in the CFI system. The FUEL indicator light comes on then off. This indicator light is for the fuel level in the tank. The only light that should be on is the OIL pressure light.

If the FUEL SYSTEM indicator light is on, you need to leave the ignition switch in the ON position and check the ECU located under the rear trunk for error code(s). This ECU is first generation style and does not save any error code. Once you turn the key to the OFF position, all or any error code(s) is lost.

Need to know a bit more about your issue. Did you check the fuel system pressure? Good thing to do.

Your post indicates that a lot is happening at the ECU. The change of the fuel pump and what you have done ahs nothing to do with the ECU.

You need the Supplement to troubleshoot the error codes on the ECU. What indicator lights are flashing? There are 5 indicator lights. The second pic is where the ECU is:
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Gadget Rectangle Electronic device
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door

LTD ECM Trouble lights.pdf

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
The fuel pump supplies more fuel than the engine requires. Excess fuel goes back to the fuel tank throught the fuel pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
85 GL1200 LTD trike
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like you have 4 wheels. Nice fitment. Thank you will be back on the road one day, have the passion

You have an '85 Limited Edition FI model. Very reliable and great on the road. I've been refurbishing mine for the past 6 1/2 years - retirement project. Me too as a project, had bikes all my life but just fancied a trike but had to be a Wing

Firts and foremost, you need the OEM service manual, Electrical Troubleshooting manual, and the Supplement - cannot "wing" it - no pun intended, with this bike. Will download today TY

You have changed a lot of parts. What was your rationale for this? The OEM fuel pump is quite robust. The nipple on the fuel outlet was leaking really bad, could not fix it tried though.

Starter motor can be rebuilt with new brushes, and a good cleaning keeps it going for many more years. The old one had the power pin broken off the new one got her started

There are two dog bone fuses. You have found one that goes up the left side of the battery (looking at it). This provides power to the CFI main relay - relay #4, and a few other items. I need to find this one

The other dog bone fuse is attached to the starter relay. I replaced the one just to the right of the battery by the Positive power

What happens when the key is turned on. There is a start up sequence that occurs. The fuel pump operates for 2 to 4 seconds to prime the fuel system, then stops. Starts automatically as soon as the engine starts. Fuel pump just runs and runs does not turn off, fuel is flowing through

You changed the fuel MMM if honest probably about 90%

The dash sequence, specifically the right hand side, goes through alight sequence. The cruise indicator lights come on and go off. The FUEL SYSTEM indicator light on then off - it's the bike check CFI system, is not to indicate anything about the fuel system. If this dash light stays on, there is an issue in the CFI system. The FUEL indicator light comes on then off. This indicator light is for the fuel level in the tank. The only light that should be on is the OIL pressure light. All does as you say except the fuel system light this flashes along with the relay no5

If the FUEL SYSTEM indicator light is on, you need to leave the ignition switch in the ON position and check the ECU located under the rear trunk for error code(s). This ECU is first generation style and does not save any error code. Once you turn the key to the OFF position, all or any error code(s) is lost. All lights just keep flashing in sequence with the relay no5

Need to know a bit more about your issue. Did you check the fuel system pressure? Good thing to do. I honestly think that is where I need to start, the fuel pump is constantly on so not getting full pressure

Your post indicates that a lot is happening at the ECU. The change of the fuel pump and what you have done ahs nothing to do with the ECU. Noted

You need the Supplement to troubleshoot the error codes on the ECU. What indicator lights are flashing? There are 5 indicator lights. The second pic is where the ECU is:

·
Registered
85 GL1200 LTD trike
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fuel pump supplies more fuel than the engine requires. Excess fuel goes back to the fuel tank throught the fuel pressure relief valve.
When she started the fuel pump was on for a few seconds then bang she started now just recirculating the fuel back into the tank, and that constant clicking from the starter relay number 5 swapped it out and still the same

·
Registered
85 GL1200 LTD trike
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense so fuel is not getting to the fuel injection must be related to the relay5 clicking and the fuel pump staying on all the time, as much as i want to ride her i also enjoy the troubleshooting makes it yours, thank you for the support

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,332 Posts
I have a GL1200 trike
I just sent you a PM with some info on that model bike,
look at your Avatar, top right of page.
you will see a RED DOT which means that someone sent you a Message.

click the avatar, click on Conversations
good luck

·
Registered
85 GL1200 LTD trike
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like you have 4 wheels. Nice fitment.

You have an '85 Limited Edition FI model. Very reliable and great on the road. I've been refurbishing mine for the past 6 1/2 years - retirement project.

Firts and foremost, you need the OEM service manual, Electrical Troubleshooting manual, and the Supplement - cannot "wing" it - no pun intended, with this bike.

You have changed a lot of parts. What was your rationale for this? The OEM fuel pump is quite robust.

Starter motor can be rebuilt with new brushes, and a good cleaning keeps it going for many more years.

There are two dog bone fuses. You have found one that goes up the left side of the battery (looking at it). This provides power to the CFI main relay - relay #4, and a few other items.

The other dog bone fuse is attached to the starter relay.

What happens when the key is turned on. There is a start up sequence that occurs. The fuel pump operates for 2 to 4 seconds to prime the fuel system, then stops. Starts automatically as soon as the engine starts.

You changed the fuel

The dash sequence, specifically the right hand side, goes through alight sequence. The cruise indicator lights come on and go off. The FUEL SYSTEM indicator light on then off - it's the bike check CFI system, is not to indicate anything about the fuel system. If this dash light stays on, there is an issue in the CFI system. The FUEL indicator light comes on then off. This indicator light is for the fuel level in the tank. The only light that should be on is the OIL pressure light.

If the FUEL SYSTEM indicator light is on, you need to leave the ignition switch in the ON position and check the ECU located under the rear trunk for error code(s). This ECU is first generation style and does not save any error code. Once you turn the key to the OFF position, all or any error code(s) is lost.

Need to know a bit more about your issue. Did you check the fuel system pressure? Good thing to do.

Your post indicates that a lot is happening at the ECU. The change of the fuel pump and what you have done ahs nothing to do with the ECU.

View attachment 329207 View attachment 329208
LTD ECM Trouble lights.pdf

Good luck.
Thank you very helpful, all the lights continually flash in sequence with relay 5

·
Registered
85 GL1200 LTD trike
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another quick question, are all the relays 5 of them the same rating in the fuse box, just swapped 1 out and now no fuel pump or nasty lights on the ECU

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sounds to me like the TPS is giving you problems. Turn the key on and rotate throttle then listen for the clicks. I could be wrong but here’s a link to a video I took of a similar issue: SEi Bad TPS again 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
85 GL1200 LTD trike
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK getting closer, took all the add on electrics out could not move for wires to little lights etc all around her, cleaned the air filter well took it all out still clicking on the starter solenoid still clicking in the main fuse box and fuel pump runs all the time but now have clicking at all 4 EFI ports, must be clogged up? onward and upwards, Anyone want to buy a 1985 GL1200 LTD trike LOL

·
Registered
144 Posts
OK getting closer, took all the add on electrics out could not move for wires to little lights etc all around her, cleaned the air filter well took it all out still clicking on the starter solenoid still clicking in the main fuse box and fuel pump runs all the time but now have clicking at all 4 EFI ports, must be clogged up? onward and upwards, Anyone want to buy a 1985 GL1200 LTD trike LOL
Typically when you hear that clicking at the injectors, that means the TPS is giving an erroneous signal. The best thing for you to do is take video with the key on and record the lights on the ECM under the trunk. They’ll tell you what’s wrong…

·
Registered
85 GL1200 LTD trike
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Typically when you hear that clicking at the injectors, that means the TPS is giving an erroneous signal. The best thing for you to do is take video with the key on and record the lights on the ECM under the trunk. They’ll tell you what’s wrong…
Thanks for that, when you turn the starter to on all the lights flash on the ECU in tandem with clicking on solenoid 5 in the main fuse box, have a guy coming to have a look today

1 - 18 of 18 Posts